• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First oil change,Now what oil??

zipclean

Expert
What do you guys think is the right oil at 500 miles ,Yamaha semi synth. or go buy some regular 4 stroke 0/30.After 1000 miles going to switch to Amsoil 100% synth. Also whats the part# of K&N oil filter,I will use this with the Amsoil?

Go with the full synthetic. I use the amoil 0w-40 4 stroke oil. Nothing wrong with the yamaha filter in my book.

There is always some arguement that full synthetics wont let the rings seat.
At 500 miles this could be done already, I dont know.

What I did (just to be on the safe side, and maybe I am too cautious) is put in the 0-40S semi syn Yamaha oil. I did that just in case it helps the rings seat, and if I have a motor issue, Yamaha wont have an arguement that I wasnt using their oil.
That said, at over 2200 miles I'll be putting in Mobil 1 this spring for next season.

One of the best syntheitics on the market; amsoil ;)!
You might as well use the amsoil filter too.
Mobile 1 is far and away the biggest seller but they also have the biggest advertising budget 8)

I would say: "Better Safe Than Sorry" 8) I would wait till at least 1500 miles before switching to Synthetic Oil.

Running the Amsoil in both the 04 & 05 after 1500 miles each have not added any oil in either one. The 05 I switched to synthetic at 375 miles uses none. These engines spinning at the rpm they run at break in a lot quicker than we think they do. IMHO

Viewer Questions:

Here is some info from an Engine Builders Website: :D

Q: If break- in happens so quickly, why do you recommend using petroleum break- in oil for 1500 miles ??

A: Because while about 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running the engine,
the last 20% of the process takes a longer time. Street riding isn't a controlled environment, so most of the mileage may
not be in "ring loading mode". Synthetic oil is so slippery that it actually "arrests" the break in process before the rings can seal completely. I've had a few customers who switched to synthetic oil too soon, and the rings never sealed properly no matter how hard they rode. Taking a new engine apart to re - ring it is the last thing anyone wants to do, so I recommend a lot
of mileage before switching to synthetic. It's really a "better safe than sorry" situation. :o|

Guys so what say you on Mercedes and BMW both of which use Synthetic Oil from Day 1 in their engines? Or do we beleive that these higher RPM 4-strokes a different beast all together.

I've always used synthetic oil after 1500 miles on my 2 rx1's and now my apex.I use redline or royal purple 5-20.They still pour easily in the cold and protect better than a 0-30 semisyn in the heat,not to mention saving on a little friction too.

I have 1367 miles, so is that enough miles to switch to full synthetic?

Go the cheap route!!! 11 bucks!! Go to Walmart and get a Supertech filter and regular ol Castrol GTX 5-30. Run this till around 1500 miles and then go full synthetic. I did this at 41 miles and then again at 730 and now i'm at 1356 and will go full synthetic at the beginnig of next season. I have done this on both my 4 stroke sleds and all my bikes. No problem.

Back