• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

6" Carbides, too much for a non-studded Apex?

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Well, after checking alignment on my sled, and adding 1/2" shims the darting still exists. Quite bad actually.

There are 6" carbides up front that were on the sled when I bought it. Is 6" of carbide too much for an Apex that does not have studs? Am I better off running 4"?

Six inch carbides made my Rx extremely darty. Wife would not drive it.

Dooleys will stop the darting! But you need to keep the shims down to 3/16" - 1/4". You'll screw up the ski stoppers. I do not use any shims, have 4" dooleys, stock skis and an Ice Ripper track on my Rx. Works perfect!!

I have 6 inch carbides, 3/8 of an inch shims and only darts a little if I let off the gas suddenly. Plan on putting studs in for next year. Probably 96, I like a loose sled. I think the fox floats dart less IMO.

Len Todd said:
Six inch carbides made my Rx extremely darty. Wife would not drive it.

Dooleys will stop the darting! But you need to keep the shims down to 3/16" - 1/4". You'll screw up the ski stoppers. I do not use any shims, have 4" dooleys, stock skis and an Ice Ripper track on my Rx. Works perfect!!

Typo in my first post. The shims are 1/4".

I really do not want to use dooleys, way to expensive! I know I was able to get my 05 RX to dart less with standard carbides then what I have going on with the Apex. Although the RX had 144 studs in the rear but I will not stud again: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Plus I like to corner hard and do not feel dooleys allow you to do so compared to a single bar.

Wow, 4" carbides?

Boy, I just bought a leftover Nytro, and the first thing I'm gonna do is take the 8" woodys executives off my Viper and put them on my Nytro. I'd never even think of riding into a corner hard with anything less.

Thanks Watersuper.

I knew they were Bergstroms.. He said so in his post and I have been to Bergstroms site before as well.

I wanted to know what length Bergstrom triples 82SRX500 ran plus which depth of Scott's ski savers he was using.

82SRX500 said:
I had terrible darting on my GT until I put the 1/4 shim, the plastic ski saver and triple point carbides from Bergstrom. Steers like a dream. No darting and rails on the corners.

My bros GT uses this set up minus the ski savers IMO this is one of the best set ups using factory skis ;)! ;)!

Scott at Bergstrom set me up. I told him the problem I was having and he made the choices for me. I am running 8 inch triple points. Not sure on what ski saver depth he supplied but he will be able to help you. All of this combined with the shims made the sled handle awesome is all I can say. I set up my wife's Apex too but ran 8 inch standard woody's and the sled handled much better but once the woody's are worn down a set of triple point Bergstrom's will be next. Just awesome again is all I can say from a darting nightmare to riding on rails.

Back