• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What does everyone have for ski's on their Apex...

Which ski set up do you have on your Apex?

• Slydogs

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • C&A's

• Ski-Doo Pilot Ski's

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Stock Ski

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Stock w. Bergstrom triple point/ski savers/shims

• Simmons

• Ski-Doo Precision

• SLP Powder Pro

• Yamaha Mountain Ski

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

MCApex44

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper RTX SE (sold)
I want to find the "right ski's" for my 2006 Apex ER. I have read many posts on the topic here on the forum but there are so many different views/opinions on different brands and set-ups. I cant make up my mind. At first I was leaning towards the Bergstrom triple points w/ shims but now I think I will get the Pilot ski's. I am 32 yrs old and still am an aggressive rider for the most part. I figured I would post a poll to see what most of you are using. Feel free to add coments.

mchimera,
Hope you dont mind but I added skidoo precision and the SLP powder pro to the poll. C&A of course has several models which I did not add.
Good idea on the poll.
Except numbers wont show everything because Slydogs are somewhat new and the pilot 5.7 and 6.9 are very new (at least to Yamaha guys LOL)

Thanks
Mike

Tork said:
mchimera,
Hope you dont mind but I added skidoo precision and the SLP powder pro to the poll. C&A of course has several models which I did not add.
Good idea on the poll.
Except numbers wont show everything because Slydogs are somewhat new and the pilot 5.7 and 6.9 are very new (at least to Yamaha guys LOL)

Thanks
Mike

No problem at all Mike...thanks! I figured I would have missed a couple of types of ski's.

Re: What is everyone have for ski's on their Apex...

mchimera said:
I want to find the "right ski's" for my 2006 Apex ER. I have read many posts on the topic here on the forum but there are so many different views/opinions on differnent brands and set-ups. I cant make up my mind. At first I was leaning towards the Bergstrom triple points w/ shims but now I think I will get the Pilot ski's. I am 32 yrs old and still am an aggressive rider for the most part. I figured I would post a poll to see what most of you are using. Feel free to add coments.

i just purchased a set of trik skis. adding fox floats as well to my attak.
time will tell.

Some also mentioned putting on the Yamaha mtn skis.

I voted stock but have shims and shaper bars.Shimmed stock works very well-no darting!Especially when the trails are thin and rocky it feels better to not have the expensive skis on.Only change I will make is go from 6 inch to the 7.5 inch bars.
I ride aggressive when there is the "need for speed ".
I also have Simmons that were on my Warrior.These are excellent for added stability but pushed in mushy corners on the Warrior and GT.High speed stability on groomed trails -the Warrior was amazing.The Simmons do "flex" /give a little.
I tried Powder Pros for short ride,they were ok but I don`t get "off trail" enough or ride in deeper trail slop enough to get the full benifit of these skis.
I stay on the groomed trails as much as possible.A few times I have cut corners following somebody only to hit holes and have my tailbone meet my neck like a collapsed slinky.

I like the C@A razors as a second choice, but im sure they stear alot harder than the stock skis..

The thing about the Pilot skis, is that you only used the middle carbide until you are turning and then the outside carbides dig in... This allows you to a smaller carbide, and have easier steering..

The only complaint ive ever read about the Pilot skis, is the plastic wears fast in the front..

I know exactly what you are going threw... I used C@A pro skis on my Rx-warrior last year.. much improved over stock (but they darted pretty bad)

I went from the stock carbides on my apex to 8 inchers.. and then shimmed them.. I never had a really bad darting problem, but the long carbides and deep kneel of the stock skis made the sled hard to steer at slow speeds! I then did my research like you are doing right now, and decided on the pilot 5.7s

Hope this helps...

Brian

I put the Apex Mountain skis on with the bergstrom triples and shims. I never got to ride with the new set up last year. Mountain skis are 7" wide and a deeper keel.

I have stock ski and stock carbides. After much discussion about darting problems, I found the easiest and probably best solution. I Installed Woody's Doolies and it rides like a completely different sled. Don't waste your time and energy trying to solve that problem. The doolies work unbelievably well....and, dont kid yourself like some Apex riders...the stock setup really does suck. Now, my sled track like a tank....straight as a arrow and still steers great.

P.S. I dont work for Woody's or anything like that :)

ill try a set of slydogs this year. last year i ran the mtn skis and they dont work good at all on this sled. even though they were shimmed, the front of the carbide wore a lot more, they darted, steering effort was too high and it cornered like a 3 wheeler. with all the weight on the front of these sleds, real agressive skis dont work well. i wouldnt even think of c&a's. slydogs or pilots would be my only choices.

MY gt went from dangerous and unaccepstable darting, to decent with shims, and duallys. This IS the best fix for the buck. I tried pilot skiis, and slt's. I'd like to thank the guys again who acknowledged, helped, and posted these tips.
Shims can be quickly made and duallys cost about $120.

Back