• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attack Stud Height--Anyone try 1.450 studs ?

jdm

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
850 G4
Thinking of running the 1.450 Woodies Carbides vrs 1.325 in the 1.25 Ripsaw track. Does anyone have experience if this height will clear the bulkhead heat exchanger --track tension per mfg spec ?

a buddie of mine has an 06 apex with 1.25 ripsaw and running 1.575 megabites and they have only hit the exaust sheild a few times. i have a new apex and am thinking about putting the same in mine. i have looked over close and couldn`t find anywhere else they hit. he has put 700 miles on and hit some blind jumps and yes mams like we all do.

rich...you dont think they'll hit? I've heard even 1.450's could hit? a 1.575..how many on a 136? tell me what you'd recommend

sj.no 1.325,1.45 would be fine.1.575" is more then i would use just for the fact that you have to much sticking over the lug .

There is a pretty good article on the Bergstrom Skeg website in regards to stud height and added benefits. In a nutshell they stated that going over 1/4" over lug height doesn't benefit much. Any opinion on this?

I ran 1.325, 189 Woodys Gold Diggers with Doubles in one row, and 3 singles in next on a 136" track, all inside the rails last year.

this year i am going to change to 216 total with doubles inside rails, and 4 singles 2 inside, and 2 outside.

i know the outside is subject to pulling through, but the 189 inside just didn't bite as well.

Also keep the track tight or you will hit the rear support bracket on the 136 tracks.

bergstroms site is confusing to say the least...
his blurb on the 1/4" relates to braking and an inference to acceleration...doesnt prove a thing to me..
personally...if I'm spending hard coin for studs...i want that 3/8ths that rich mentioned in a 1.450...set up right it sure wont hurt...
one interesting point I did pull from bergstrom...
studs in the outside row helps acceleration AND TURNING something I've always felt when I studded my machines that way vs when I didnt..also...seem's like he has an axe to grind against woody's and simmons ski's?

I would be interested in how the longer stud performs, i have 3000 miles on the Attak, and 4000 on the Rage, and have had no pulltroughs yet.

We do our best not to spin the track on non snow surfaces.

I run the stock ski's with Stud Boy 9" shaper bars.

The stud and carbide combination work great together.,

I have 162 studs in the Rage, all singles, 2 inside, and 2 inside and 2 outside per row and it hooks up better than the Attak w/189 all inside

the reason you dont want to go over 3/8" is the stud will start becoming a lever and fold over on hardpack or ice defeating the purpose of having them.

studs on outside really help in corners because thats where all the force is being applied.but alot of people dont like studding outside because its more prown to pullouts but if installed properly and with right amount there isnt a issue.to many studs up the center will give you excessive push in corners making your sled want to go straight .

hope this helps.rich

Has anyone tried the angled backers from woody's?? Would you recommend them?

I have 108 in the middle, in my attck. Extreme max's size 1.40
I havent had any problem with them hitting anything.

Back