• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Y.E.S. worth it?

ZR800EFI

Expert
Hey guys,

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Is the Extended Service plan worth it? The Yamaha site states:

"Excluding those repairs due to normal wear and tear or aging."

Are they gonna argue that it was normal wear and tear when I bring the machine in with 15000 miles on it and there's an engine related problem? I'm thinking of signing on to the 4-year plan as I don't intend on selling this machine any time soon.

Are drive shaft bearings and such covered? Or are they considered a normal wear and tear item?

Any info with peoples experience trying to make a claim would be great...thanks!

i dont think with that milage they will cover bearings or idler wheels but that is just my opinon.

I bought the 4 year warranty.. I hope i dont have to use it.. but i have it..

They wont cover.. tracks,slides,boggy wheels, or other wearing items unless you can prove to them they were defective in workmanship..

The things i think they will cover is.. ENGINE, Oil leaks, exhaust, fuel injection, engine sensors etc.

Its really up to the dealer to fight for you when you do have a problem.. if they wont you will be screwed..

Brian

Its funny, looking at my YES plan..

They tell you the stuff they wont cover.. but do not tell you exactly what they will cover..

I don't expect to get a wheel replaced at 15000 miles. Once I get proper ones that don't ship away, I'm fine replacing them when needed afterwards.

Welterracer, buying it for $490U.S. -- good deal? Probably worth it in case something major does go wrong...

My sled was originally purchased in the U.S., and yes, they can sell it to me for $493U.S. to be exact. That's for 4-years.

In Canada, 1-year $965, 2-year $1147CDN. Canadian dealer was pissed when I told him what the U.S. is selling it for, and double the years! It makes absolutely no sense...

I think its worth it my buddy had his dream meter go bad on his 05 warrior and it was covered the meter was 400.00 and i think the apex meter is close to 600.00 its a nice thing to have if you have problems.

YES it is worth the insurance. Hopefully we will never have to use it. I agree with welterracer, having the warranty is only half the battle. You need a good dealer to go with it.

I had the warranty on my 05 RX-1 when I had it. They replaced my broken suspension arms after some bumpy trails in the UP, my transfer rod that got bent, and my cracked slide rails all under warranty. Granted all these things were known problems, but who knows if they would have been covered without the warranty.

Besides that, if something were to ever happen on the trail you basically get $200 dollars in your pocket to cover lodging, towing, etc due to the malfunction.

You may want to check with Yamaha before you buy a warrenty in the US and try to get service in Canada. Most manufactures and dealers wont honor warrantys from across the border.

If you're going to keep the sled for more than a couple of years, it's cheap insurance. But the great part is that it's transferable so if you sell it before it expires it's a great re-sell advantage. Go for it.

msatow said:
You may want to check with Yamaha before you buy a warrenty in the US and try to get service in Canada. Most manufactures and dealers wont honor warrantys from across the border.

Thanks, and I understand that. Sounds like all my work will have to be done in the U.S., which I don't mind since I'm not far from the border. But, the problem I have is if I'm sledding somewhere in Canada and something breaks that should be covered, a close by dealer can't fix it through YES? I don't think that's right if that's the case. Yamaha is one company, and they should cover it no matter where you are riding.

Has anyone from the U.S. been riding in Canada and had something go wrong? If so, could you get it fixed in Canada and continue your trip, or did you have to haul it back to the U.S. for service if you wanted YES to pay for it?

Thanks for the links, Swiss Sledder! I have a problem with this search engine...it always seems to bring back almost every thread for some reason???

ZR800EFI said:
msatow said:

Thanks, and I understand that. Sounds like all my work will have to be done in the U.S., which I don't mind since I'm not far from the border. But, the problem I have is if I'm sledding somewhere in Canada and something breaks that should be covered, a close by dealer can't fix it through YES? I don't think that's right if that's the case. Yamaha is one company, and they should cover it no matter where you are riding.

Has anyone from the U.S. been riding in Canada and had something go wrong? If so, could you get it fixed in Canada and continue your trip, or did you have to haul it back to the U.S. for service if you wanted YES to pay for it?

Thanks for the links, Swiss Sledder! I have a problem with this search engine...it always seems to bring back almost every thread for some reason???

ZR, I bought the extended and I purchased my sled in the states... Now saying that all my warranty service must be done in the states. If you ride in Canada and you are a Canadian and you bought your sled in the states, you are screwed, dead in the water and not one Canadian dealer that will help you. But, if you are an American and riding in the states and bought your sled in the states, then Yamaha Canada has money put aside for those issues and they will help you out no questions asked.

I know, I know it's BS, but it's part of the Yamaha campain to stop cross border shopping. This info came directly from a Canadian Dealer Rep.

Anyways, to me it means nothing to me anyways, because if I am riding far up north, Yamaha will cover me, I just have to get it back to the dealer in the U.S.

I paid 490.00 U.S. for another 4 years. I have warranty up to November 23, 2010. Well worth the money.

Hope this helps....

Back