• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid Plate...who has added it to their Apex?

MCApex44

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper RTX SE (sold)
Just got back from dropping the Apex off at the dealer. He suggested I add a skid plate because of where the oil plug is and it might be exposed to damage. He said an Apex got damaged bad enough where it was considered totalled last season. I guess it got caught up on something and twisted everything pretty bad. Is a skid plate a good investment? He said he didnt want to sound like he was "just trying to get me to spend more money". I had a laundry list of items to get done(big boy spring, doolys, hand warmer update, light bulbs, add 48 more studs to equal 144, replace wheels, and 07 chain case cover) and he talked me out of the rear cooler and marginal snow kit so I believe he wasnt just trying to tack on a few dollars with the skid plate. Just trying to see if the skid plate is a worthwhile investment.

Your dealer is right and I would put one on SAP. Skid plates saved me many dollars in the past. The thin plate under your engine won’t do much if you hit something unexpectedly. I hit a steel rod under the snow with one of my older machines and wouldn’t want to even think what would of happened if I didn’t have a skidplate. Cheaper to be proactive then reactive.

Dan

mchimera said:
Just got back from dropping the Apex off at the dealer. He suggested I add a skid plate because of where the oil plug is and it might be exposed to damage. He said an Apex got damaged bad enough where it was considered totalled last season. I guess it got caught up on something and twisted everything pretty bad. Is a skid plate a good investment? He said he didnt want to sound like he was "just trying to get me to spend more money". I had a laundry list of items to get done(big boy spring, doolys, hand warmer update, light bulbs, add 48 more studs to equal 144, replace wheels, and 07 chain case cover) and he talked me out of the rear cooler and marginal snow kit so I believe he wasnt just trying to tack on a few dollars with the skid plate. Just trying to see if the skid plate is a worthwhile investment.
Very good advise i would have never given it another thought if i had not almost tottaled my sled last year. Caught something running just off trail in about 12" of snow,ripped my front heat exchanger so bad that it jammed up into the track and stopped the sled in its tracks,wow what could this be,i thought,it feels bad,and when stuff bleeds green it generally is,get the skid plate,cheap insurance!!

you must put on a skid plate-fyi,pull the plastic panel and look at the "legs" on the oil pan -if you hit the smallest object they snap off and now a major oil leak -my advise is to grind them down and add a skid plate you will be way better off if you encounter an unforseen oops in the snow

I agree with the skidplate idea, saved my #*$&@ on a culvert before, and am in the process of putting one in the Attak.

Just wondering guys, on the front screws of the skidplate, did you use the included washers? I ask as with the washers in place, the screw doesnt fit flush to the edge of the plastic.

I hope im not hi-jacking your post man, but this info might be something you might want to consider while installing your skidplate.

Here you go, would'nt ride without one !

TB

Attachments

• IMG_1765a.JPG
    IMG_1765a.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 555
This is the work involved for a guy that didn't have a skid plate.

Attachments

• 06 rtx 006 (Small).jpg
    06 rtx 006 (Small).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 06 rtx 003 (Small).jpg
    06 rtx 003 (Small).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 607

Back