• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Extra fuel storage in nose - Riding with REVs

ReX

TY 4 Stroke God
Feel free to skip the background preamble below and jump to "What we're looking for"...

I spoke to Chris at Tour Buddy several times during the past year and a half – hoping (and expecting) they would have a Tour Buddy auxiliary fuel tank for the Apex line of sleds available for 07.

They have the design figured out but I was told yesterday that they have decided not to manufacture the tank for the Apex line (the tank would also fit on the entire RS and RX lineup). He said they needed a minimum of 200 requests for the tank to justify the tooling costs and they only have roughly 100.

Here's the problem. Most of the guys I ride with ride REV's. There are 600 SDI's, 600 HO's, 800 HO's, and one Mach Z. All of these sleds are capable of 200-300 km per tank if you’re doing high mileage cruising (with the 600 SDI and the Mach Z good for over 300 km – if they take it easy). My 05 RX-1 would get 225+ km out of a tank if I took it easy. Even riding it fairly hard I could get 175 km or more out of a full tank.

Last season the 3 guys riding Apex's ran out of gas several times when riding in Northern Quebec and Ontario (especially after a recent heavy snowfall). We found, compared to the 05 RX-1, the fuel tank is about 4 useable liters smaller (37 liters vs 41 liters) and the fuel economy dropped from 14-16 mpg (Canadian gallon) to 12-14 mpg. We found the fuel range on the Apex normally 140-180 km and typically you start looking for fuel after about 120 km.

Ideally we want to be able to travel 250 km without filling up at a gas station in ideal conditions. To do this we’d need to carry an extra 13+ liters or 3 gallons of fuel.

What we’re looking for:

10+ liters of extra fuel storage on the 06/07 Apex.

Tour Buddy was going to use the nose of the sled to carry the extra fuel and from what I can see this looks like the best storage location (saddle bags, trunk bag and other storage compartments will be full of supplies, clothing, etc.).

I know some of you have put a 1 gallon jerry can in the nose. Have any of you figured some way to fit 2.5+ gallons in there?

The ultimate solution would be 2.5+ gallons in the nose with a self siphoning system (like the Tour Buddy system). For normal riding I’d leave the nose tank empty, but before a long haul I’d fill it as well as the main tank. This way I could ride 200-250 km without having to stop to pour fuel into the main tank.

Really the ideal solution is the non-existent Tour Buddy 13 liter nose tank. It’s safe, motor vehicle compliant (complies with the safety standards), automatic siphoning system, easy to install, etc. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s going to exist.

How many of you are also looking for extra fuel storage?

Any advice or suggestions?

Hartman Tunnel extension and leave your
track alone. Then a Cross fire rack, set of
chrome tips & there you got an extra 3 gal. ;)!

TB

Attachments

• Apex Rear Rack.JPG
    Apex Rear Rack.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 246
fuel cap

try removeing that white sleve thats under the gas cap this will give you about 3 liter,s more gas czp. and when doing this move your fuel tank vent line from down the side of the sled to up under the handle bars. that sleve just pop,s out useing your fingers

The fuel ranges you stated seem unusually low. 140-160Km converts to 84-96 miles. The Apex has a 10.1 U.S. gallon tank. 14 MPG times 10 is 140 miles or roughly 220km. 16MPG will give you 240 Km. The Apex's you are talking about must be getting really bad fuel mileage, or I'm missing something.

I was thinking the same thing. I've been over 150 miles (pretty agressive) on a tank of gas. But I guess if you're breaking trail that would drop a good bit. Do like the look of the extension tho.

gas capcitiy

or you could make your own by takeing a NEW 2 gallon can and molding in to shape with a heat gun. and if you both that would realy give lots of capcitiy. then just run the vent line into the jerry can via one of those adapores that are sold to hook a jerry can to an out board moter.

milage

i was think that your milage is low as well . i ride with those same sleds and dont have any problems like that once i realized that they all stay in the back and let you break trail. put them on point. once you do that there will be maybe only a small differnce i milage and no oil . or just bring the speed up your milage will drop but theres will fall off the cliff. this i know for a fact as some as you push those sdi moters they suck fuel big time. it,s not win of loes it,s how you play the game.

Just a couple things that popped into my mind after reading the topic:

The All stock Rev 600 HO (non SDI) we ride with only gets 10 mpg US, easy 50 mph cruising in the U.P. It's only got 1,500 miles on it, rings bad already?

I was checking it out, and there is a ton of unused space inside the front shock mount casting. Some type of bladder that you could get in there, or a custom molded tank that could be put in there (you would have to split the two casting halves apart) would be awesome.

I think I read here on TY that the stock 150 motors run rich. Maybe a fuel contoller to lean 'em out could improve mileage?

My Attak feels pretty light in the back, and pretty heavy in the front. Maybe it would be a good idea to put the extra fuel weight on the back?

True Blue said:

TB

Where did you get those chrome tips? I like that idea for my attack, my buddy’s got a great bag for his M6 that goes on that rack holds a tone of stuff.

I've used many of tour buddy tanks over the years. If Chris made one for the Attak that fit in somewhere neat I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That said, Yamaha should increase fuel capacity on all sleds by 2 gallons. Problem solved for us long range tourers. I expect it's the dreaded weight issue that prevents that. It's time everyone got over the "weight" thing. My Attaks are by far the best overall sleds on the market! Maybe it's also time to get rid of the rear exhaust so a useful rack can be installed!

True Blue said:

TB

This looks like the perfect solution..

I know my apex gets in the 14.5-16mpg range depending on snow condtions..

If snow is really fresh and ungroomed i have gotton as bad as 10mpg

"True Blue"s set up is nice! How many$ and you stilll have to lug gas can with you. That's like the old days. We shouldn't be going backward.

I'm assuming the stock extension on the Attak would not hold the extra weight, correct? Therefore, something like the Hartman extension is necessary? I know the stock extension has a warning on it, so I'm just kinda wondering.

Thanks,
Jon

Gas only weights 6.1 pounds per gallon..

I wouldnt worry abut hurting the extension.. They just dont want you to stand on it..

Back