• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Charging Question

MXD

Pro
My dealer told me that my battery could use a good deep cell charge. He said I should take the battery out and not try and charge it through the leads. Is this true or can I hook it up using the leads? That battery is a royal pain to get to.

I charge mine through the leads all the time. Get an optimate III hook it up and forget it really good charger probably the one your dealer is using.

Can you leave the optimate on for extended periods? I am thinking of buying an optimate. I have a road bike in storage for the winter, and would like to put the charger on it when I am not using it on my Apex.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked it up for myself, then ordered one.

Bigger Hammer said:
Can you leave the optimate on for extended periods? I am thinking of buying an optimate. I have a road bike in storage for the winter, and would like to put the charger on it when I am not using it on my Apex.

By all means yes it is the best charger out there. If your battery is sulphated it will desulphate first and then charge it. Once fully charged it floats to keep the battery in tip top shape. There is another charger called the Battery Minder it is supposed to desulphate too. You can buy your Optimate III from your Yamaha dealer at least in Canada you can. I will find a link and post it here for the Battery Minder.

Ok found one it is cheaper than the optimate but I know the optimate works as advertised not sure about the battey minder.
http://www.batteryweb.com/batteryminder.cfm

MY DEALER SOLD ME A BATTERY TENDER PLUS
FROM DELTRAN TEN YEAR WARRANTY IT SEEMS WE ALL HAVE ONE THING IN COMMEN EVERY DEALER IS PUSHING CHARGERS FOR THESE NEW SLEDS THAT MAKES ME WONDER IF THE BATTERIES THERE PUTTING IN THESE SLEDS OR THE CHARGING SYSTEMS ARE ANY GOOD.I DON'T
THINK THE BATTERY CARES THE ABOUT THE NAME ON THE CHARGER. :die :4STroke: :rocks:

Royal Distributing has OPTIMATE 111's

SNOW 2007 #341 01-963 1 BATTERY CHARGER OPTIMATE III $69.95 $69.95
$69.95

Your Battery Tender Plus does not desulphate your battery will care about that. Big plus for the Optimate III it does all what the your Battery Tender Plus does and desulphates it too. Makes the Optimate III much better choice.

:Rockon: I use my Harley Davidson battery tender junior on my RTX. I got an extra 2 pole connector that I routed out to the right foot well where I plug it in. I always leave it pluged in. Worked great on my V-Rod so why not the RTX? I will take it along on my Quebec trip too just to keep the battey ready for those really cold nights up there.

Moon

In my view, the Optimate III is the best one out there. It de-sulphates. It will not over charge. $69.00 is a good price. I paid that several years ago. My 04 RX-1 is still using the original battery.

After the many recommendations for the Optimate III, including the ones on this site, I purchased one. I am very pleased with it. I had a battery that stopped taking a charge last summer in my road bike, I purchased a new one but never got around to turning in the old one (place where I bought the new one didn't take old ones). Wouldn't take a charge from either my 2 amp charger or my cheap trickle charger. As this was the battery that came in the bike when I purchased it, I don't know how it was treated before I got it. Being curious, I hooked up my new optimate to the "dead" battery, and the next day it was fine, fully charged and showing a "good" light, guess I have a spare battery now.
I also hooked the Apex up through the jump start leads, after a little while charging, it gave me the green "good" light, so I don't think charging through these wires are a problem. I am guessing some dealers are recommending not do do it because they want you to disconnect the battery from the sled?

BATTERY CHARGER

:die :jump: :yam: :rocks: :4STroke:

OK I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A OPTIMATE III
BATTERY CHARGER FOR MY NEW ATTAK WILL POST
HOW IT DOE'S LATER.RIGHT NOW PRAYING FOR
SNOW.

Back