• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want HOT hands?..It can be done!!! EDITED FIRST POST

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
Hold your OLD 06 bars and plug them into your 07 wiring harness....run sled up to 15-20mph on stand...you will burn your bare hands within a few minutes...

I tried them back to the OLD 06 hookup without harness and like last year,not nearly as hot...

So,im going back to 06 bars/grips with 07 UPDATE harness...and finally I will have warm hands!...

EDIT:(FEB4th 07)many have NOW done this MOD and it works and has been tested,no ILL EFFECTS...you MUST ADJUST your clock after this MOD if you remove the headlight pod,so adjust it to correct time and all is well afterwards.

You will find 2 bars on your level adjustment will be HOT enough,I had it at MID level on one ride,and it was great as it was minus 25c on lake.Be careful at first,they will get very hot...ALSO many with 07 model sleds have done this MOD and it works well,simply find yourself a set of 06 bars and plug into your 07 sled,voila!

EDIT:(march 07)3 Weeks now and no problems still...running perfectly!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:(Jan 08)
For anyone who doesnt want to read the zillion pages here...the jury is back,and this MOD works,plain and simple...

07 or newer Apex/Attack
your sled already has the SUB-LEAD...just find some 2006 bars/grips,plug them in, thats ALL!

06 Apex/Attack
You will need the original 2006 BARS/GRIPS...and those 06 bars need to be plugged into a 07 UPDATE HARNESS(SUB-LEAD) which came with the 07 BAR UPGRADE for 06 owners.....many dealers still have the OLD 06 bars from when they did the upgrades,so ask your dealer,they were not supposed to KEEP them anyway!

below is a pic of the sub-lead that comes with 07 update bar kit....
this SUB-LEAD only comes with the update KIT for 06 owners,and as far as I know cannot be ordered separately...you MAY be able to just REWIRE your 06 bars to MIRROR the sub-lead below which would work.

try it and youll see!

Dan

Attachments

• 07grip wire.jpg
    07grip wire.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,358

Is it because theres not as much element to heat on the 06 bars compared to the 07....Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 07 bars heaters go all the way to the hooked end? So it would make sense that more voltage are going to the 06 ones...

Is there a way to re-wire the '07 bars to get similar results? I already upgraded to the '07 bars, and sold my '06 ones.

Re: Want HOT hands?...Experiment proved it can be done!

machzed said:
Hold your OLD 06 bars and plug them into your 07 wiring harness....run sled up to 15-20mph on stand...you will burn your bare hands within a few minutes...

I tried them back to the OLD 06 hookup without harness and like last year,not nearly as hot...

So,im going back to 06 bars with 07 harness...and finally I will have warm hands!...

try it and youll see!

Dan

I think someone did some math calculations in another thread and predicted what you saw but they also said that in doing that the old bars are going to be drawing a lot higher amps .

so this is for the old style 06' bars not the new ones? if that's the case i'll stick with the crappy 07' bars and keep my gauntlets on

machzed said:

So,im going back to 06 bars with 07 harness...and finally I will have warm hands!...

try it and youll see!

Dan

So plug them into the WIRE, SUB-LEAD #8FP-82318-10 towards the grip warmer. (this is part # from the update directions) I love the 06 bar diameter and hooks so I am hopping this works!

NY_Nytro said:
machzed said:

try it and youll see!

Dan

I think someone did some math calculations in another thread and predicted what you saw but they also said that in doing that the old bars are going to be drawing a lot higher amps .

glad you posted this because somebody did the math and conclued the watts draw was enough to melt plastic and rubber, plus possible do other damage.

machzed said:

try it and youll see!

Dan

So we foamed for nothing then :(

I have the replacement bars sitting in the bag under my workbench. I have a friend of mine that had his Attak backed into by a moving van, and he may want them, but if not, what exactly are you saying to do with the harness for the '07's to make the '06 bars hotter?
Nate

Ok, what about us 07 guys. I always liked the original scorching hot grips Yamaha is previously known for. Even those on the RX Warrior weren't hot enough when visiting Canada & waking up to -40. One week we had 3 days at -40 & one night it got down to -56. The rubber flap on the motor was frozen & would not flex, it was hard & brittle like plastic. Needed a Hair dryer to get the thing to even roll over. I don't look to ride in those temps, but when it happens, I like being prepared. I can always turn them down with those sweet controls.

I cannot helieeve it is that simple yet Yamaha screwed them up for so long without any correction other than a lot of press over a correction that was still wrong.

Jim

they just didnt want the responseable if they burn off and the reason for the new ones wont work because of the omhs difference in the bars they could of went half way with that that why they get payed the big bucks

guys....Im telling you it works...they are HOT.....if youre worried about being too hot turn them down....geeeees.....I tested them only for 2 minutes at 15-20mph on a stand holding bars on bare hands....they get so hot i had to stop.

this was on HI...so just turn them down...I tried the 07 bars plugged the same way,which is how they want you to..also tried 07 without harness like o6 wiring..and worse.

IMO,the harness makes Both sets hotter,then without...as its making IT a series intead of parrellel...(or visa versa)

but with the 07 bars,they are either warm or barely warm...while with the 06 bars,they are warm or HOT with and without harness.

so the HArness is the KEY here...i was shocked too feel the heat,even out near hook which doesnt even have heat!..

Im in the process of FOAMING my 06 bars now..LOL,..i swear Im gonna have the hottest grips around if it kills me!..

Ill post tomorrow after i ride...although its supposed to be milder tomorrow finally,go figure!

Dan

Back