• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what do you do about stud tear outs

STORM-CHASER

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Looking my track over I have 3 studs tear out , they left a little square hole. is there anything I should do with it. or just keep running it. :o|

Attachments

• DSCN1526.JPG
    DSCN1526.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 623

New track

OR

http://www.carrolltech.com/ I've had tracks repaired by them

BTW: I rode with a guy on an '01 XC 800 Poo last Sat. He started out with something like 10+ tear-outs in his track, and he kept on riding. I split -off from the group and as far as I know, he put 160 miles on that day, and made it back.

my friend has 3 perfect rectangles torn through his track from double backers pulling through.
"BIG HOLES"
he has been riding since last season like that and has a total of 900+ miles on the track since tearing out the studs.
i am missing 2 studs same as your pic above and intend to run mine but will check it out on a regular basis.
I say run it!!
But watch it!!

You could keep running a track like that, I did and the next stud I threw went through my heat exchanger. I wouldn't chance it, you've got all summer to save up for a new track.

Just a question but for some reason I see most of the guys on the forum here have
picks on there sled. Is it that you guys run on ice most of the time or just want to replace your track more often? I've picked my tracks before and always hated the end results. Here in Manitoba you could ride without picks depending what you want out of your sled.

The reality of the situation is that most of them do it because *everyone* does it. The group mentality - if everyone's doing it, it must be good.

Like you, I've tried a couple of times on two different sleds and hated the results both times. Steering is compromised and they make you slow. And road crossing is evil.

Another nice thing about NOT running them is that you can chop out all the tunnel protectors. End result is a weight savings of (weight of spikes) + (weight of tunnel protectors) + (weight of ice that the tunnel protectors hold up in the tunnel).

4Fighter said:
New track

OR

http://www.carrolltech.com/ I've had tracks repaired by them

BTW: I rode with a guy on an '01 XC 800 Poo last Sat. He started out with something like 10+ tear-outs in his track, and he kept on riding. I split -off from the group and as far as I know, he put 160 miles on that day, and made it back.

I guess its worse that I thought
I sent that place a pitcure of the track and here is his reply:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the pictures. I would say that you are a canidate for track replacement, not track repair. Your track would need to be rebuilt, not repaired. Looks like you had A LOT of fun with this track ! YYEE HHAAA !

Take it easy !

STORM-CHASER said:
Looking my track over I have 3 studs tear out , they left a little square hole. is there anything I should do with it. or just keep running it. :o|
i had one tearout like yours (i think). then this happened last week)

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 821
LazyBastard said:
The reality of the situation is that most of them do it because *everyone* does it. The group mentality - if everyone's doing it, it must be good.

The reality of it is that some of us ride in an entirely different area then you and in these areas we get tons and tons of ice.
In maine this past weekend we had 3 / 50 degree days in a row.
every night it dropped down to 10 - 20 degrees and froze the trails up solid. with out studs around here we crash. Plain and simple.
Thats the reality of the situation.

Its been a real hard year on the suspensions, tracks, studs, wheels etc. here in Ontario. I had 2 single studs pull out. First time in 10 years.

BA APEX said:
STORM-CHASER said:
i had one tearout like yours (i think). then this happened last week)

wow thats what I am affraid of. I am thinking the ice claw track.how many miles you have on that track. Mine has 4000 miles

STORM-CHASER said:

What kind of patten is that? How do you have a rectangular tearout and just to the left have a stud with a round backer? Did the round backer make that rectangular tearout? The Apex and Attack come with 3 wheels on the back axle and the tears seam to be over the 3rd wheel. IMO something just doesn't seem right.

What kind of patten is that? How do you have a rectangular tearout and just to the left have a stud with a round backer? Did the round backer make that rectangular tearout? The Apex and Attack come with 3 wheels on the back axle and the tears seam to be over the 3rd wheel. IMO something just doesn't seem right.
[/quote]

Ya its the round backer that maid the rectangular tearout, as you can see in the photo there were 2 double digger , when they were starting to tear I removed the studs to prevent from pulling threw. I am thinking of a new track with out studs , but its hard around here to Run without them come home the other night had to unl;oad sled in th ebottom of my drive. My wifes unstudded she got half way up and then started sliding down backwards .scared her. Maybe a ice claw track is the anwswer

Back