• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

fox shock adjustment

Nytro40th

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper RTX SE
What is everyone setting there fox shocks at. I want to narrow it down by having a baseline to start at. I weigh about 250 no gear. Can anyone help.

I'd recommend you start at 15 lbs lighter than recommended although I am basing that on my firecat, it might be different with the Nytro. I ran my firecat at 75 to start as per the manual and there was no damping whatsoever. The sled basically bounced off of everything. I ran it at 55 for my wife one day and then got on it myself, it was the first time I enjoyed the sled. I changed it to 65 because I like to launch off a few things but at 60 it was a happy medium, thus 10lbs lighter than recommended.

Nytro40th said:
What is everyone setting there fox shocks at. I want to narrow it down by having a baseline to start at. I weigh about 250 no gear. Can anyone help.

We had about 4 inches of wet heavy snow here EARLY this morning (5am) so I took my RTX out for a ride. I have them set at 105lbs. and I like the way it felt. I weigh about 215. I jumped it a couple of times and it took the hits SWEET!!!! :die

105?!?!?!? I don't know a ton of people that have them, but of the 5 or 6 that I have talked to, nobody has run them over 65! I am not saying you are wrong, but we are talking about a difference of 40psi.

Mine came from the dealer set at 55. I am going to leave them there for the first ride because I too have no idea what they 'should' be set at.

Thanks for reply guys. I will start with 55 psi. I think they were set at 75psi. I am trying to adjust the suspension as I cracked the throttle a bit and the skis were in the air. Alot more power than my SXR 600.

75 is more than enough. On my old nytro I took some hard hits into gully's and didn't feel a thing. 105 is way overboard. You'll break your arms off before the shock bottoms out.

I have the "old school" nytro and I run mine at 90-95 psi. I found any lower and I was increasing the inside ski lift on the corners.

rik said:
I have the "old school" nytro and I run mine at 90-95 psi. I found any lower and I was increasing the inside ski lift on the corners.

I think you got that backwards.... The more air you let out the flatter the A arms will ride thus giving you less ski lift. The draw back is that now the shocks won't be able to stand up to bigger hits. I ran my apex rtx at 60 PSI and found it perfect. Make sure you jack up the front of the sled when adjusting the pressure because if you are reading the gauge with the shocks compressed on the ground it will give a false high reading

skoalring11 said:
rik said:

I think you got that backwards.... The more air you let out the flatter the A arms will ride thus giving you less ski lift. The draw back is that now the shocks won't be able to stand up to bigger hits. I ran my apex rtx at 60 PSI and found it perfect. Make sure you jack up the front of the sled when adjusting the pressure because if you are reading the gauge with the shocks compressed on the ground it will give a false high reading

Exactly! The stiffer the setting, the less body roll the sled will have, thus forcing the inside ski off the ground.

FYI-Mine came set at 55 from the factory.

Goddo said:
How did you check the pressure Spartan. You'll get a higher reading if the sled is on the snow. Pressure should be set with the front end off the ground...no weight on the shocks.

I did it with the front end in the air, not weight on the ski's.

The range goes up to 150psi and I like to be able to soak up the big hits.

I'll adjust later as needed - more riding. :die

SpartanNytroFX said:
Goddo said:
How did you check the pressure Spartan. You'll get a higher reading if the sled is on the snow. Pressure should be set with the front end off the ground...no weight on the shocks.

I did it with the front end in the air, not weight on the ski's.

The range goes up to 150psi and I like to be able to soak up the big hits.

I'll adjust later as needed - more riding. :die

Wow...I guess its whatever works for you. I've never heard anyone run above 80psi. The Nytro is probably a little heavier in the front, but I can't see it warranting 105psi in the floats.

As I mentioned above, at 75 on my cat the shocks didn't dampen anything on the trail, and I can't even imagine what it would take to bottom them.

Perhaps altitude makes a difference too...I'm no shock expert.

Back