• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro 2nd ride - review and comments

AKrider

TY 4 Stroke God
Rode my Nytro in the mountains again today. The snow was deeper and more set up than last weekend. Trails had been packed down so I got to work the suspension and found the rear to be too soft. I cranked the rear preload all the way up and it was still too soft. I increased the compression damping on the rear shock to the max and that helped but I could still bottom the rear skid on big whoops and especally in holes.

The front shocks were much better and only bottomed out in pretty big holes or off small jumps onto flat. I didn't mess with either the preload or the damping settings since they were capable of absorbing far rougher terrain than the rear.

The trails were pretty set up and the temps were 15 at the start of the ride and 1 at the end. I got cold and the stock windshield isn't worth a
sh!t. One thing I found was the deep tunnel made it a lot more comfortable when trying to tuck down behind the windshield when going fast on the straghtaways. The tunnels allows your legs to stretch out further when you are lying on the tank. I had to do this because I forgot my mask and was trying not to windburn my face. With the set up trails, the track could really grab traction and I was surprised by how hard the sled pulled. It is quick, no question about that. I pulled 87 mph and let off because of the cold but the sled would have kept going faster.

I ran my 6" wide Ultra Flex III skis (C&A copies) and they worked way better for off trail riding through the powder. The front end stayed up on top and floated nicely on the partially set up snow. Compared to my ride last weekend with the stock skis, I noticed the front end was now way more twitchy and the sled darted around. It was a handful at speed and the skis almost seemed too aggressive. I've been running the same skis since '02 (1st on a MXZx 440 and then my Vector) and they've never had such a negative effect on handling. I also noticed my Nytro lifting the inside ski when cornering hard so I don't know if that is due to the skis, the set up trail or both. In very low speed turns, like when you initially start off, the sled would push. I thought this was kind of weird. The rear skid transfers very well, probably too well. I was able to pull the front end up without much effort but I wondered how it effected the stability at high speeds, especally when cornering.

I noticed the left running board tended to develop more ice than the right one. Seems like there must be more heat being dumped out of the clutch side. The hand and thumb warmers are a bit confusing but are easy to use once you get used to them. You have to think "thumbs up" and you'll remember that the thumb warmer is at the top of the switch.

I ended up putting on 36.5 miles and used approximately 2.9 gals of gas. That works out to 12.2 mpg. I'm not too impressed with that figure since I rode the sled pretty conservatively and tried to keep it under 6 grand on the trails. That said, I did ride quite a bit off trail so that will use more gas and was in and out of the throttle when hitting the rough sections over and over. Still, seems like it should have done better on gas. It's probably too early to pass judgement but my Vector seems to be way more fuel efficent.

Here are some pictures of the Pass. I'm hoping we get some snow so I can just go riding straight from my home. There was just enough snow at the Pass to make it seem like you could ride off trail at normal speeds. It's still to early for that IMO, but there were a couple guys riding anywhere and everywhere. I'll wait for more snow!

HPIM1860.jpg

HPIM1859.jpg

HPIM1861.jpg

HPIM1862.jpg

HPIM1863.jpg

HPIM1864.jpg
[/img]

SWEET pics!
Scott go for the tall shield it's the only one that pretends to protect you! The side deflectors make it more stable too. I've now seen 95 mph and no movement in the tall shield. (yes there is more but ran out of room @ about 92 mph lol!)(tall shield for the FX Nytro is comparable to the mid height of yesteryear!) I'm 5'6" and it's perfect for me! (but we know I'll be using it for different reasons)

Honestly, I was expecting way more than 12.2 mpg. I am assuming it will get better after break-in, but you are only looking at 82 miles per tank (figuring 6.8 gallons of usable fuel).

I was reallly hoping for the 15-17 mpg range. Time will tell....

lucky_7 said:
Honestly, I was expecting way more than 12.2 mpg. I am assuming it will get better after break-in, but you are only looking at 82 miles per tank (figuring 6.8 gallons of usable fuel).

I agree but 08 Nitro claims that his Nytro gets better mileage than his 600 SDI and thats good enough for me. ;)!

jds1000 said:
lucky_7 said:

I agree but 08 Nitro claims that his Nytro gets better mileage than his 600 SDI and thats good enough for me. ;)!

If that were true....but there is no way that 12.2 is anywhere near what an SDI is getting....they can get anything from 15-22 depending how you ride.

rockrider said:
Rode my Nytro in the mountains again today. The snow was deeper and more set up than last weekend. Trails had been packed down so I got to work the suspension and found the rear to be too soft. I cranked the rear preload all the way up and it was still too soft. I increased the compression damping on the rear shock to the max and that helped but I could still bottom the rear skid on big whoops and especally in holes.

This has me worried a little...I weigh in at over 250 ready to ride and I don't think that you should have to max out your suspension just to ride the sled. What did you have your springs at (L, M, or High)?

Goddo said:
rockrider said:

This has me worried a little...I weigh in at over 250 ready to ride and I don't think that you should have to max out your suspension just to ride the sled. What did you have your springs at (L, M, or High)?

What was the reason for you to go with a standard version?

lucky_7 said:
Goddo said:
rockrider said:

What was the reason for you to go with a standard version?

I didn't have a choice...That was all my dealer had. He ordered 2 RTX's (one 40th, one not) He ordered two base models and two MTX(40th and regular). He only has 1 blue MTX and 1 base Nytro left.

All that aside, I read a mag that said the base Nytro was Blizzard to X package comparable and the RTX was X-XRS comparable. If the base has to be set up on max just to ride it, then that's far from Blizzard comparable.

I ran my Firecat Snow Pro on Medium and only 65lbs in the floats and it was very stiff.

However, I don't want to complain because I have not ridden my sled yet.
I was just basing my worry on Rockrider's experience.

Jeff,
After yesterday (and I did get windburn, LOL) I decided that a taller windshield was in my future!

Goddo,
The rear springs came set on medium stock and I turned them to hard. The rear compression damping is set on 6 and I actually turned it into 1 not knowing what it called for int he manual. The book says 2 for hardest compression so I'm thinking 1 should be harder but I need to check with my dealer. In any case the rear was still to soft for me. I didn't touch the front shock but I'm going to max the preload out on it as well.

I weigh probably 200 ready to ride and am setting the sled up for XC racing. Last night I rode the ditches by my home and the rear skid worked pretty well in the small whoops and trail chatter. It's the big stuff that it can't handle at high speeds.

I also wanted to add that I'm not sure how the sled is going to do for mileage. I've been obsessing about it since day one and feel Yamaha made a big mistake when they went with the 7 gal tank. Still, maybe they know something we don't? Maybe the mileage improves as it gets broken in? Once we get more snow I'll be able to ride from my home after work and get a better idea for MPG.

12.2 play riding with low miles on her yet is actually pretty good I think. On the trails and broken in should easily get to 15,16 range in my opinion.

rockrider said:
Jeff,
After yesterday (and I did get windburn, LOL) I decided that a taller windshield was in my future!

Goddo,
The rear springs came set on medium stock and I turned them to hard. The rear compression damping is set on 6 and I actually turned it into 1 not knowing what it called for int he manual. The book says 2 for hardest compression so I'm thinking 1 should be harder but I need to check with my dealer. In any case the rear was still to soft for me. I didn't touch the front shock but I'm going to max the preload out on it as well.

I weigh probably 200 ready to ride and am setting the sled up for XC racing. Last night I rode the ditches by my home and the rear skid worked pretty well in the small whoops and trail chatter. It's the big stuff that it can't handle at high speeds.

I also wanted to add that I'm not sure how the sled is going to do for mileage. I've been obsessing about it since day one and feel Yamaha made a big mistake when they went with the 7 gal tank. Still, maybe they know something we don't? Maybe the mileage improves as it gets broken in? Once we get more snow I'll be able to ride from my home after work and get a better idea for MPG.
Man i sure hope this skid works out for you guys better than my 07 rtx skid did for me,i weigh 240 dressed this year so my xp doo 8 should hopefully hold up as well as my 07 rtx did,but the rtx sounds like it had the same problems as this new nytro does,when running hard thru the stutters its ok,but when running aproaches and any kind of g-bumps,man hang onto your #*$&@,it will drop down,than kick you hard,in the back side,and i am not bashing the sled,we still have 3 4 strokes in our fleet,but the skid in my grandsond 05 vector and the one i had in my 07 rtx,are the same one you guys have in your new nytro,with one exception,you have the new tunnel/chassie to mount it into,which i would have thought would be 100% by now,but maybe it is close,but no cigar yet!! But hopefully,keep us posted.

mnmsnowbeast said:
rockrider said:
Jeff,

Goddo,

Man i sure hope this skid works out for you guys better than my 07 rtx skid did for me,i weigh 240 dressed this year so my xp doo 8 should hopefully hold up as well as my 07 rtx did,but the rtx sounds like it had the same problems as this new nytro does,when running hard thru the stutters its ok,but when running aproaches and any kind of g-bumps,man hang onto your #*$&@,it will drop down,than kick you hard,in the back side,and i am not bashing the sled,we still have 3 4 strokes in our fleet,but the skid in my grandsond 05 vector and the one i had in my 07 rtx,are the same one you guys have in your new nytro,with one exception,you have the new tunnel/chassie to mount it into,which i would have thought would be 100% by now,but maybe it is close,but no cigar yet!! But hopefully,keep us posted.

08 Nitro has been out on his RTX Nytro and his TNT XP. From his reports the Nytro soaks everything up pretty well and the TNT is way too soft for any kind of fast trail riding. I hope most big guys ordered the X pkg XP's because the Adrenalin pkg will be the same as the TNT. As far as the Nytro goes I wish they would have kept the anti-bottoming blocks on it like the protos. I don't understand why they took them off the production models?

Back