• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

(Season 2007-08)- Yellowknife

how are the hand warmers on the nytro?..i demo'd a phazer last year at -25 to -30 and found the warmers very weak at full power...also great begining to your mileage log..keep it up

Thanks Yellowknife I look forward to reading your reviews and segments as you put on many miles this year. I'm ahead of you for now in milage but I know this will be short lived!! Wish Yamaha made a FX Nytro between 121 & 153!! HINT HINT! Betting mine will NOT be the first... @ 137" once I do it late Dec!

Went riding this morning...this is not photoshop'd

EarlySnowDrifts.jpg

Winds have already blown huge snow drifts into the shorelines of the lakes.

The MTX was busy getting the prototype hitch installed from Yamaha. I'll be trying it out Tuesday morning and will snap some pictures of both my reinforced boggan and the hitch.

While out on the Phazer, the throttle was sticking open. It got to the point where it was stuck open every couple minutes, so I took the sled in and they had it out within hours, both sled ready for pick-up. Now that's awesome service! Hopefully the throttle doesn't stick anymore. They think it was the cable.

You still going to post your log on Dootalk as well? I just changed from yellow to blue and some of the guys on Dootalk are not that nice to anyone not bleeding yellow. To me snowmobiling is snowmobiling - do what you like & ride what you like.

Yep, still going to post my log on dootalk as well. I grew up on dootalk, and I have many friends there, so I get the respect without it getting out of hand for the most part, even though I'm all blue now. I agree, do what you like and ride what you like. It's not all about the colours.

The other thing is, a lot of my friends and family that aren't snowmobilers and want to watch the thread are able to see all the photo's and video's without being a member on dootalk. On TY you have to be signed in as a member or pictures don't show up. That's cool, but many people won't bother with trying to sign up only to view posts with pics in them.

That brings me to this morning's ride and pictures!

Chris Reid at Yamaha Canada send out a prototype hitch for me to test...I'm forever greatful seeing as how I was crying for one a couple months ago!
NytroHitch.jpg

The hitch is an assembly that is attached to both the tunnel and the bumper.

NytroHitch3.jpg

There are reinforcement plates under the tunnel. It was iced up so I didn't get pics underneath. Next time she's in the garage I will get some.

Basically two plates, one on each side are bolted under the tunnel. They extend to the edge of the tunnel, where you see 4 more bolts attached. Those are connected to the reinforcement plates. The bumper is complete with the hitch, as the bumper comes welded to the tongue of the hitch.

NytroHitch2.jpg

The tongue portion doesn't wrap completely around the bumper. I think it would be better if it did. Right now the only thing holding the tongue onto the bumper are a few spot welds by the look of it. I think the tongue should be secured better than that to the bumper, that way your entire load isn't on the welds. If the welds came loose, the hitch would bend upwards and the weight would then be on the tunnel reinforcement plates. It's an interesting design, made completely from aluminum. I think if the tongue wrapped around the bumper it would be indestructable.

Now to the ride...
I tried breaking trail into Tartan Rapids. I cut a couple trees out of the way, and hit a lot of slush and overflow on the way...
Overflow.jpg

The boggan got a little iced up, and became pretty heavy and full of snow...
IcyBoggan.jpg

I had to turn around when a portion of the trail turned out to be moving water...
OpenWater.jpg

The hitch passed the empty boggan test...this boggan is reinforced with 3/4 inch fiberglass and weighs more than twice what it used to, plus the tow bar is built from scratch by the welders shop and weighs 3 times what it did originally. It's made to take abuse, hopefully the hitch can handle it loaded down with 160 litres of fuel and a couple caribou.

Nytro.jpg

That's it for this morning's ride before work!
NytroBoggan.jpg

yk hitch looks great..ill pick one up when availiable..isnt breaking trail through the forest the best..;-}

Twins? What the??

Yes - breaking trail through the bush is awesome.

Tonight's ride saw more of that, but there's a cool story with it, more on that later.

This morning before work, a co-worker at CBC needed shots of someone on their sled. He was doing a story about sled theft, so we headed for the trails and he took some video of me riding around. I will get a copy of the item and post the video here.

This was during this morning's sled theft shoot:
NytroCBC.jpg

So after work I decide to head to the gas bar on the MTX. I'm sitting there waiting for a free fuel pump, and watching this guy who's on a Nytro. I thought it was a short track. Suddenly he fires it up and rides over to me, and it's another MTX!!

When I was ordering mine, I knew that there was one other guy in Yellowknife who ordered one as well, and here he was! We talked for a bit and ended up breaking trail into Berry Hill!

Here's an experimental view of the city from 30 km's away by air, straight line:
BerryHillatNight.jpg

Anyway we hit LOTS of slush and overflow, but the MTX's make quick work of that...the torque is unexplainable...

Here's on top of the hill...
AllanNytros.jpg

P1000487.jpg

And the twins...
TwinNytros.jpg

What was cool about the ride was we swapped sleds for awhile. Mine is stock, and his has the complete sea level kit in it. We are at about 700 feet above sea level here I think.

The RPM's on my stock machine were 400 to 500 rpm higher at the same speed that he would do with his sea leveled MTX. Both of us are on break-in still, so we didn't open it up, but I'm sure I'll hit the rev limiter if there is one with my stock setup, we'll see.

My clutch engages at roughly 4000 rpm while his engages at about 3600 rpm. It was interesting. I felt like mine had more jump off the line and was far more 'touchy' in the trails, but he thought the opposite so who knows. I think we both just like our own sleds!

I broke 200 km's on the MTX tonight, and I keep forgetting to take an odometer picture, but it's coming.

Oh yeah, and first fuel mileage calculation is 11 MPG (U.S.)

Back