• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crack in RS Venture Oil Tank and Subequent Leak

hondo

VIP Member
The leak was discovered yesterday. Took the side panel off and trouble shot today. Rode the sled about 2 miles to get the oil warmed up which showed the location of the crack in the tank, and susequent leak.

The crack started leaking between 22,000 and 22,050 miles.
RS Venture Mileage
RSVenturemileage-7.jpg

I was alerted to a problem by a flickering (!) caution indication followed by a steady caution indication and oil symbol on the display panel.

I lost about 1.5 quarts riding. Luckily, I was carrying 2 spare quarts of oil which got me back home.

Overview of RS Venture oil tank crack and oil leak
RSVenturecrackinoiltank.jpg

RS Venture hair line oil tank crack and subsequent oil leak
RSVentureoiltankcrack.jpg

RS Venture oil tank crack
RSVentureoilleak.jpg

RS Venture oil tank crack and leak
CrackinRSVentureoiltank.jpg

Why couldn't the crack have been at the top of the tank??? LOL...

The sled is going into the shop tomorrow for a detailed maintenance inspection prior to January's rides.

Hope this helps in discovering RS series trends. ;)!

Have seen this a few times on other sleds posted here. The tank probably should have a grommet or reinforced piece of metal in that area. I am going to watch my Rage,once it has some miles on it. Don't know if that is going to happen to the replacement tank or if Yamaha has any updates. plowking

A couple of things come to mind. The die cast aluminum alloy the tank, coupled with the unique vibrations of the three cylinder motor, the tank is bound to crack. I'm not fond of the alloy. I know cutting weight is the issue.

I have followed the other posts regarding cracks in tanks. It seems to be a trend with the three cylinder motors.

Good idea about a rubber grommets and updates.

I'm going to bring that up with my dealer and mechanic tomorrow.

Suggestion to RS owners, carry a spare quart or two of oil. It got me home. Without it the motor could run dry.

Same thing happened to mine at 2200 miles. Same crack at same location.

I was heading to the Gaspe on a Sunday and put the sled in the garage on Friday to thaw out and check it over. Imagine my horrer when I found a puddle of oil under it! Dealer replaced it with one they took off a sled on the floor...Great dealer!

Hi Jeff,

I check the oil before every ride. No indication of any leakeage on the garage floor either. When I started Saturday the oil level was full.

The crack occurred during the ride.

Apparently it leaked about 1.5 quarts in roughly 50 - 100 miles, just a guess. The spare oil is what got me home.

I left the sled with my dealer to do a detailed inspection prior to January's ride. We discussed the tank. My mechanic has replaced 4 or 5 oil tanks. I have a 5 year warranty. Yamaha will cover the oil tank.

That's all that I know. ;)!

I also have experienced the cracked oil tank. I have a 2006 Vector. Mine cracked exactly in the same location as in the original post. The crack on the backside was worse. Mine happened while riding up north, lost 2 litres before found oil. Had to ride back to another dealer who swapped tanks with a new old stock sled, was very lucky it was during the week and in the daytime. New tank $325 plus installation. Will talk with Yamaha to see what they can do for me, since this seems to be a defect. Riders better carry a spare litre of oil with them if they have this type of tank. Sort of sucks though, because you can't count on your sled, and you can't predict when this is gping to happen.

Back