• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lightweight battery Replacement for Nytro MTX

robbaum

Anyone looked into replacing their stock MTX battery with a lighter weight battery? I would be interested in finding out where you got your battery and how it is working. I have a 2008 Nytro MTX... and yes... I love it!

Don't get the Batcap.......seen to many fail and leave buddies stranded on the mountain with shorted out "Car Amp batteries" which is all the Batcaps are designed for.
Get a good Yuasa or something of equal quality designed for motorsports.
I use the YTZ7S from Yuasa.
RS

I use the same as ClimbMax (YTZ7S)!

It weighs less than 7 pounds and has plenty of power to turn the MTX engine even when it is very cold!

I've been using this battery for the last 3 years with no problems!

Errol

Just a note about after-market "Lightweight" batteries being sold for sleds, is that most I've seen are actually Batcap batteries with a different flashy sticker on them. They are marketed as a sled battery, but are actually Batcaps and as previously mentioned, they do fail. I seen one last spring fail in the mountains, cracked or something like that, and the guy was pulled home......nothing more embarrassing then your $30,000. sled pulled home because he saved 7-8 pounds on an already super, light, 325 hp sled!
If you're riding the mountains, or far out of the way, I would think twice.The same dealer that owns the sled and sells the batteries advised me it wasn't worth it.

i checked into them at one point and the company that was selling them also offerd lite weight jummper cables, so i scrapped the whole idea

Just another note, the same person/dealer I talked with said that on long road trips when cold, like -20 C, in an enclosed trailer, they had lots of starting issues the next morning and almost always had to jump start 3 out of 5 of the sleds. I'm still laughing about the lightweight jumper cables...too funny, not a good sales tactic when selling batteries! LOL

As climbmax said the ytz7s works good ran one for 3 years on my trx never failed me, I am running a ytz10 on my nytro it saved me 8 lbs. and I figured I would sacrifice acouple lbs. for alittle more battery with the fuel injection.

YTZ7S

Has anyone had problems with the YTZ7S in the Apex's or Nytro's. I can get one for about $70 so I figure that's a cheap weight loss! The catalog says the YTZ7S weighs 4.6 lbs with acid. That's light! Anyone have the weight of the stock battery? Do the Apex and Nytro use the same stock battery? Any modifications to make this battery fit? Thanks!

Re: YTZ7S

mountain_mod_viper said:
Has anyone had problems with the YTZ7S in the Apex's or Nytro's. I can get one for about $70 so I figure that's a cheap weight loss! The catalog says the YTZ7S weighs 4.6 lbs with acid. That's light! Anyone have the weight of the stock battery? Do the Apex and Nytro use the same stock battery? Any modifications to make this battery fit? Thanks!

i weighed mine when i was weighing the whole thing, if i remember it was 11 pounds

battery weight

just swapped mine out for thr ytz7s tonight also was a bit leary on the power it had cause its real small but it cranks the nytro over real fast and i saved like 9 lbs just fron the battery alone, whats next guys. lol

My brother has an automotive shop and we found them in the interstate battery catalog. They are also in the Western Power Sports ATV book. It seems like it was listed under a Honda trx in the WPS book. I'm going to order one next week and try it out. I also found them doing a google search.

Stock battery weight (bathroom Scale method): 14lbs

Stock muffler: 13.5 lbs. Thinking of trying a turbo muffler which is very light. I'll let you know how it goes.

NicSal said:
where does a guy pic one these batteries up at is there a web sit because im sure my dealer aint got them ??????

This battery is actually in the WR 450's, so your dealer probably has at least one, they may not sell it to you like my dealer did :Rockon:

Got the battery today. Can't believe how small it is! It weighs 4.5 lbs on the same bathroom scales that I used to weigh the stock battery (14 lbs). It was dirt cheap for a 9.5 lb weight loss. Next, the muffler.

What are you guys using to shim the battery into its holder since it's so much smaller than the stock one?

Back