• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front end Mod - Results

BLUEBALLER

Expert
For those that haven't done the front end mod yet, DO IT!!! Reaper and I put on a few miles today and both of us were happy with the outcome of shaving 2.5mm off the top balljoint. Trail conditions were very good, about 2-3" of fresh powder and the front end was VERY responsive and controllable through the twisty sections. After shimming my Outlaws (3/8" under the whole width of the rubber mount), the skis were working awesome. no darting, no side to side pitching, and with the soft snow, no inside ski lift. I will wait till I get on hard packed trails again to see if this setup really is the cats azz, but today, I was really impressed.

A BIG thank you to IKE for giving me the heads up to this MOD!! :Rockon:

Anyone else see the same results??

That is good to hear, as mine will be in the lathe tomorrow, and yes thanks to IKE for the info

Last week, there was a post about modifying the upper balljoints. Basically machine them down 2.5mm(0.1") and give your spindles a negative camber. I think they did it to the 09's, so just throw yours in the lathe and machine 'em down. It you don't like it you could always shim it back.

this is where it needs to be taken down.

Attachments

• balljoint.jpg
    balljoint.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 610
Well, on the Nytro, when you reach 60-70 mph on hard pack trail the sled will dart uncontrolably. I would describe it a lot like a head shake on a motorcycle. Everyone seems to have different experiences, but this is mine. I will be visiting a lathe soon. Thanks Ike!

towerrigger said:
Well, on the Nytro, when you reach 60-70 mph on hard pack trail the sled will dart uncontrolably. I would describe it a lot like a head shake on a motorcycle. Everyone seems to have different experiences, but this is mine. I will be visiting a lathe soon. Thanks Ike!

This is a bang on description. It is a tank slapper without the slapping essentially.

I thought I had this all from gone from mine by widening, flipping the rubber and shimming 3/8". On the local non groomed whooped out trails all that helped alot.

That was until I got on groomed trails for my first time ever this weekend. It was fine up to 45 mph but after that it was nerve wreacking. The fastest I could get on the trail was 70 mph as beyond that the twitching was just beyond bearable.

I might try this myself if others post some good results with it.

BLUEBALLER said:
Last week, there was a post about modifying the upper balljoints. Basically machine them down 2.5mm(0.1") and give your spindles a negative caster.

Shortening the upper ball joints and leaning the tops of the spindles inwards will give them negative camber, not caster.

rfabro said:
BLUEBALLER said:
Last week, there was a post about modifying the upper balljoints. Basically machine them down 2.5mm(0.1") and give your spindles a negative caster.

Shortening the upper ball joints and leaning the tops of the spindles inwards will give them negative camber, not caster.

whoops, yes you are correct, I knew that, but I was so excited, I typed the wrong thing. Fixed it. thanks

It makes the steering less agreessive and I was extremly pleased with the results. Pitching the stock ski's for doo pilots and the negative camber mod made the front end soooooo nice now ! All the confidence in the world to go fast !

Isn't it all the play (slop) in the front end that's causing most of the problems? or have you guys fixed that?

so if this is a good mod how come yamaha hasnt come out with this fix yet ? JW oh and wouldnt this give the ski a diff angle, could cause excessive wear?

Look at the camber tilt on the pictures of the XTX, bingo. It works fantastic ! The front is so nice now, predictable, stable, not twitchy anymore.

Back