• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 suspension failure

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Well here are pics.Made about 1500mi max with it.At least its not the link I guess.I noticed couple times when crossing a road it sounded like track ratcheting when I hit hole on other side road.It was actually this shaft hitting the track.

Plan is to weld it up and make a reinforcement plate like on SRX.If you look back on old posts on update kit I said the front arm has different bushings(steel) and different shims.Well that cocks the top of rail outward.I assumed they did this to get the outer idlers down a bit but I believe this along with tremendous forces on shaft caused this failure.Or could have been fatigued from 07 bad parts?

Link to 08 update post
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Attachments

• 08 suspension failure 005 (Medium).jpg
    08 suspension failure 005 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 08 suspension failure 001 (Medium).jpg
    08 suspension failure 001 (Medium).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 208

That just SUCKS, I just picked mine up from the dealer with all of the 08 parts in it. I will keep an eye on it. It should be replaced by the dealer. Or Yamaha. You can probably get a new rail or weld that one like you said. Good luck.

I will turn it in to dealer but I know for sure YES coverage doesnt cover rails.Either way will plate it with something like this cut to fit the rail contour and grab the ledge transfer force over a much larger area and then wait to see what else breaks.My Hygear kit is looking more and more tempting but I just dont want to start over.Suspension just rocks when its not broke.I tried riding the SRX today but trails got whooped out and I ended up only putting 30mi on.Phazer I would have rode all day.Appreciate the support at least we know we arent alone and uninformed thanks to everyone here.

Attachments

• Plate (Custom).jpg
    Plate (Custom).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 203
I hope so.More bad news.I kept this to myself because I wasnt sure the cause.Now I am 100% sure that bending the shaft with two idlers on is the main cause of all our issues.Those of you blaming weak torsions for your sag your shaft is bent.Even a little makes a huge difference.I bent this new 08 shaft on very first ride after putting 08 suspension in.It is not visible unless you take it out and use a straight edge.Before I rode it after putting 08 parts in the stock couplers were almost tight to the scissor without me on it and springs on low.After the first ride they were well over 3/4in away and lots of sag.If we can keep shaft from bending our problems will be solved.When this shaft bends it also twists the Link probably what caused that to break.

I am thinking solid bushings in the pivot that goes on the shaft will do the trick.Full length.Also rails will be plated like I showed.

Maybe Ulmer can make some Oilrite bushings for this?

Attachments

• apart 005 (Medium).jpg
    apart 005 (Medium).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 199
Here is the new bent shaft.I marked direction it came out and marks from set screws are in there so as much info as possible can come from this.If anyone wants full size pics will email them just PM me.Pics are sideways to fit camera.

Attachments

• apart 001 (Medium).jpg
    apart 001 (Medium).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 195
  • apart 003 (Medium).jpg
    apart 003 (Medium).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 205
  • apart 004 (Medium).jpg
    apart 004 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 209
Guess what? I went out this weekend to the U.P. for a weekend of riding and was cut short by my rear suspension breaking on my sled. I have the updated '08 suspension on my sled too, with the aluminum linkage and everything. What's funny is that the new '08 updated suspension didn't even last as long as the old '07 suspension. I had 1800 miles on my '07 suspension before it broke the linkage on the last ride of that season. I have 1400 miles on this year so far. The tabs that hold the new aluminum linkage to the front W arm broke off. Just as others have said. I was 50 miles from the truck on a day we put 204 miles on, when it broke. I rode it slowly to the next road and left it there with the key in it hoping someone would take it (nobody did unfortunately). Then had to ride the rest of the fifty miles back on the back of my friends Ski-doo TNT (that wasn't comfortable), then drive back to get my sled. The wife has the camera with her right now, but I'll get pictures of it when she gets home with the camera. Hopefully these parts aren't back ordered like the starters, because I have two more rides scheduled this year yet. Got to love having to bring this sled back to the dealer every time you ride it. This is the third time in a row now that this thing has broken on me and cut my riding time short. I am fed up.

Oh man that is terrible!

I need to fess up here.I did some investigating (found a 08 to inspect)and have found that the washer that spread tops of rails apart should have been on the outside of the rails.07 it was inside.This was probably cause of the shaft bolt pulling through rail.Washer in question bolts the arm to the rails.It is not for the shaft which is bent.I will be eating this one and you all have my apologies for any worries.It was a honest mistake since no instructions came with kit and parts fiche shows the washer placement but not assembly.Do I think it was cause of bent shaft?NO definitly not.If you have a lot of sag your shaft is bent.Sorry guys.Check how yours are assembled.It should look like this:

Attachments

• 03-02-08_1844.jpg
    03-02-08_1844.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 211
Well your problem may have been different cannondale27, but here are the pictures of my breakage which were not caused by that issue. I'll tell you that it's quite hard to get pictures of this stuff with the sled stuffed in the back of the truck from having to pick it up out in the woods where you couldn't get the trailer.

08linkagebreak1.jpg

08linkagebreak2.jpg

08linkagebreak3.jpg

08linkagebreak4.jpg

08linkagebreak5.jpg

08linkagebreak6.jpg

sledintruck.jpg

Uh oh thats not the same as mine.On mine the doubled layer goes all the way down to the arm and is welded onto the arm unless I am seeing things wrong?

Attachments

• arm 005.jpg
    arm 005.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 207
Also are the two inner idlers still plastic?Should be rubber ones.First the arm bolts were different and now this.What is going on?

Attachments

• New Linkage 003.jpg
    New Linkage 003.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 197

Back