• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bulkhead reinforcement after aluminum weld (a arm rip out).

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
I also posted on general discussion as I'd like opinions on this fix...I don't plan on trying to break it..so it's all theory til the fat lady sings..lol.

Thanks to Rich Defillipo (Amsterdam, NY) for welding the bulkhead...he's available for anyone needing this service, or any tig/mig welding..good guy. Rides an F cat, though...lol.

The idea here is to pre stress the bushing shaft/a arm bolt and hold it tight to the inside of the cast hole/nylon bushing. Any stress will pull on the bolt head/threaded rod/center casting/ and the whole other side before getting far enough to break off the cast aluminum tab with the bolt hole. The forces here are almost just the opposite of the 'pull' away when catching something with the inside of the ski. It felt strong trying to 'break' the a arm by pulling on it after finishing.

Attachments

• P3080033.JPG
    P3080033.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 112

Lastly tack weld the upper support brackets to the new lower support..easily cut off or remove both bolts to get out if needed. Again, not the prettiest welds (by me..I didn't have the brackets made up in time for Rich to weld), but they generally stick together

Attachments

• P3080038.JPG
    P3080038.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 114
This should work on Vector's and Apex's, too..my Apex looks similar..maybe bigger bolts..so just drill a bigger hole in the bracket.

Thanks. I wanted to use the stock parts. The nuts had at least a 1/4 inch of threads showing, so I used 1/8" plate steel. Other than time, the whole cost for threaded rod, nuts and steel is probably under 5 bucks.

Back