• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Test Ride Report: FX Nytro SE and XTX

woodydog

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Polaris Rush Axys Pro S 800 60th Anniversary
2015 Yamaha SR Viper RTX DX
1983 Yamaha Vmax 540
1981 Yamaha SRX 440
Hey, I just got back from the Demo rides at Cascade Mountain Ski Hill in Portage Wisconsin, a big thanks to Yamaha and Johnson Sales for putting this on!

I am going to purchase a new sled and am looking at the Nytro's, SE and XTX or possibly a leftover Apex LTX GT Anniversary. After riding them all back to back to back all I can say is wow!

08 Apex Anniversary model, you just can't beat the all around great attributes of this sled, smooth, comfortable, exhilerating power! Perfect balance and fantastic acceleration!

Nytro SE, wow, as close to a race sled that Yamaha has ever produced for us to purchase. It was a little stiff, but in a good way, no bone jarring hits from the front or the back, but it it is a less plush ride than the Apex or the XTX. It stays very planted and is very predictable as to what it's going to do over the bumps.

Nytro XTX, seemed to have better acceleration because of less or no track spin like the Apex, and a plusher ride than the SE, like the Apex. I think I am leaning toward the XTX but I am still afraid of that 144 inch track, for hyfax wear and cornering, we didn't really get to test the cornering beacause we were only on the hill and no trails. All of these sleds took the bumps with ease at no matter what speed we threw at them! They let us do pretty much whatever we wanted. The conditions were rock hard at 10:30am and then much softer at Noon when I took my last ride.

I am 43 5'8" 185 lbs like to ride aggressive and still like cruising too. I like the more aggressive ride positioning with the Nytro's. What are you guys buying? Like I said, I am leaning toward the XTX just because it seems to be the best of both worlds (if it corners) and I don't want it to be any slower top end than the SE, but with that long track I think it's gotta be at least a couple miles an hour slower on the top than the SE?

Pricing, I've gotten so far was from Port Yamaha, OTD pricing is with 5th year of warranty (100) Wisconsin Registration (40) and all Taxes 5.5% where I live, SE OTD is $9897.00 and XTX OTD is $9250.00 so for the extra $650 for the SE the little boy inside my head (his name is Toby) says buy the SE because it's cool and Yamaha says the upgrades over the RTX is worth $2700. I've got to make a decision, I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 times before I order!

What are your thoughts? Anybody? Thanks! md

Thought the same thing about the se, but in the end I am not a ditch banger. I dont like to beatup my sled. I ordered the XTX cant wait till next year.

I snow checked a SE today. I want a suspension that won't disappoint. And great adjustability.
Looked at the XTX but I am a 121 guy. The only thing I will change on the SE is the track. I know I will be happy with this sled but not sure if I would be with the 144. That being said, the XTX will perform. It should give the best of both worlds. For me, when I go off trail and hill climbing I have more fun on a big HP 121.

I know dude, I am a 121 guy also, if the XTX was a 128 or a 136 I don't think I would be struggling with it as much. We ride a lot of lakes around here and all of my buddies judge speed by fastest across the lake. But, that being said, just because you are the fastest doesn't mean you are the best. Just thinking out loud and trying to make the best purchase I can. I had the 02 Viper up till now and just loved the sled. I was never the fastest but I was always right there. I just wish the Viper would have made it one more year, 9150 miles and I took the crank out, time for the latest and greatest. Can't wait for whatever I decide on!
Thanks,
md

They say the xtx is actually 1-2 mph faster on top then the shorty because of the shallow approach and tipped rails increase driveline effeciency. Slide wear shouldnt be worse than a 121 because it still uses the same track just longer. If it had a 1.5 or 1.75 lug it would def be harder on slides. I was kinda torn between the se and xtx myself but Im think it will be the xtx for me. I rode 2 rev 600's and one was a renegade 136 and one was a shorty. The first thing you notice with the 136 is the ride quality on the stutters and of course the off trail flotation. That pretty much sold me.

I snow checked an xtx but can,t see it being faster on top end when the driveline is spining 5-6 pounds of more rotating mass. Don,t add up.

Turk said:
I snow checked an xtx but can,t see it being faster on top end when the driveline is spining 5-6 pounds of more rotating mass. Don,t add up.

I think if you raced them on a 50 roll people would see it. But that 144 gets you out so quick it's hard to see the difference. I'm 136ing my SE So I'll have the best of both worlds SE shock package with 136 Stability and Traction

my 08 fx had the best holeshot of any trail sled i ever owned. I woulda liked to have seen the 60' times.

Turk said:
my 08 fx had the best holeshot of any trail sled i ever owned. I woulda liked to have seen the 60' times.
I agree, my did too.............till I 144'd it. RXwhopper I'm sure can testify on my behalf to that.Overall mph did suffer without a doubt though. We'll see in the fall, I just might put a 1.25 on and see what it does.

I was up at Cascade yesterday (Saturday) also. I personally own an FX-RTX so I had no interest in riding the Nytros at all. I've ridden an Apex & coming off an '06 Nytro, the Vector was not an option to me either. I went right to the Phazer. Never ridden one before & I was VERY impressed. If I knew we'd have many winters to come just like our past one here in Southern WI, I'd get one for the wife.

I actually got a bit of a chuckle from everyone oggling & trying to be the first guy to claim one of the Nytros for a test ride. It's your choice there woodydog, but another factor to consider about the XTX is your trailer, assuming you have one. The XTX probably will not fit in a 10 ft. enclosed. Not only is the length a problem, but the height of the Nytros is an issue. My RTX will just fit in my enclosed, height wise. The windshield just clears the top by MAYBE 1.5". I could move the sled back more to get the windshield closer to the peak of the topper, but then it's sitting back too far to get the clamp bars on the skis AND the rear bumper is only about 6-8" from the back of the topper.

Trailer's not an issue, 12' Bearcat enclosed with rear swinging doors. The Nytro XTX is only 120" long anyway, same as a 128" tracked Cat. My girlfriend has the Phazer FX and I love that sled, I just need a lot more top end than that. It is a blast to ride though, it's her first sled ever and she put 1200 trouble free miles on last year.
I know I'll like either sled I buy, but I just want to make the best choice. I kept the Viper for 7 seasons and loved every minute of the 9000+ miles I put on that sled. Just trying to see what other peoples thoughts were. In the end it will be my decision, but it's cool to see what other people are doing.
It's great that we have the choices we do have, but I still would have liked another choice, of either 128 like Cat or 136 or something!
md

Turk said:
Hey Turk not apples to apples but, my long track doo 137" x 16 wide track acutally out runs my 2 other buddies shorties. They are both 120" sleds I take em from strat to finish and always pull away. Doesn't make sense to me either but it seems to work.

Attachments

• IMG_1161 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1161 (Large).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 262

Back