• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cheap ski scratchers

Seen a few out there and decided to build some and save some money I built 5 sets for about 15 bucks thought maybe some might be interested in it
First you have to gather up a few things and have a bench vise hack saw or angle grinder drill.
1 1/2 x 1/8 aluminum (ace hardware or appropriate metal supply)
uhmw 1 inch round ( can be purchased at any bearing store)
1 case international hay rake tooth ( tractor supply cal ranch or D&B)
2 1 1/2 x 5/16 bolts with lock nuts
4 1 x 1/4 button head bolts with lock nuts
2 large fender washers 5/16
this is what it will look like when we start
skiscratcher003.jpg

First ya must bend the aluminum into the shape of an L you want it 2 1/4 inches tall and a 3/4 lip on the bottom next were going to drill a 5/16 hole 3/4 from the edge and 3/4 from the side. this is on the long side of the L bracket. next drill two 1/4 holes in the 3/4 flange side appropriately spaced. Its going to look like this
skiscratcher008.jpg

Next take the umhw and cut 15/16 off being careful to cut straight next drill a 5/16 hole threw the center.
next were going to cut the spring in two so far out parts should look like this
skiscratcher007.jpg

then assembly will go like this
slide 5 /16 bolt thew l bracket slide on umhw spacer then spring and washer
skiscratcher005.jpg

when assembled you can see the spring needs bent down
skiscratcher006.jpg

take it back to the vise and bend appropriately you want it to be about 1 inch below the very bottom of ski. each application may be different so bend according to needs. I found that a 3 foot piece of pipe over the scratcher spring greatly helped the bending process and remember don't heat it it will destroy the spring action. make sure to round the corners of the bracket and remove all burrs then paint and use loctite when assembling

Very good idea, make sure to have some type of stopper to keep them from getting vertical or reversing when getting the front skis of the ground or when jumping otherwise that I think they'll work great...nice job!

apltx08 said:
Very good idea, make sure to have some type of stopper to keep them from getting vertical or reversing when getting the front skis of the ground or when jumping otherwise that I think they'll work great...nice job!
By cutting the uhmw the proper width it puts just a little pressure on the spring and keeps it from floping around loosely and by making it only 2 1/4 inches tall if you forget and leave them down why you back up they will freely spin around without contacting any of the suspention parts and not bend ;)!

adrenaline junkey,
Looks like a really good idea, I have a couple of questions though. #1 - Do you have the "particulars" on the spring, I was looking at the Tractor Supply site and they seem to have many options, I was just curious which one you used, IE: length, diameter of the rod, etc...?
#2 - Are those plastic skis you're mounting the scratcher too, or metal? I just wonder if a plastic ski would hold up to the pressure of the assembly.
Thanks,

John

sparks49 said:
adrenaline junkey,
Looks like a really good idea, I have a couple of questions though. #1 - Do you have the "particulars" on the spring, I was looking at the Tractor Supply site and they seem to have many options, I was just curious which one you used, IE: length, diameter of the rod, etc...?
#2 - Are those plastic skis you're mounting the scratcher too, or metal? I just wonder if a plastic ski would hold up to the pressure of the assembly.
Thanks,

John
The only tag that were on the springs said case double rake
here are a few pic with measurements and the spring rod diameter is 1/4 inch or .25
campingbosteder010.jpg

campingbosteder011.jpg

campingbosteder012.jpg

Yes the ski is plastic Simmons but they will also fit the stock ski and i used them all last year without any problems they work good and keep the whole hi fax coated with snow the only issue is backing up on super compressed snow such as the parking lot or ice
hope this helps let me know if i can be of anymore help

There are tons of different spring combinations If i person spent a little tile looking I'm sure ya could even come up with something to mount on the skid if the ski scratchers weren't your cup of tea ;)!

For any Canadians looking for the spring, I found them on the shelf at my local TSC store for about $5.50

Just need to pick up some uhmw and stainless hardware.

Here is another set i just did, instead of mounting and drilling ski I just drilled the saddle with a 1/4 hole. been holding up great and working good
scratcher2003.jpg

scratcher2002.jpg

scratcher2001.jpg

Back