• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My stud setup - 03 RX-1

RedRocket

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Since my sled only has 2800 miles, I did not want to replace the track which is in really good shape. It is the infamous "finger" track (Camoplast Predator) which means great on hard packed snow but useless on icy conditions and semi-loose or granular snow. For less than half the cost of a new track and a lot less work, I got 144 1.075" Mack studs and installed them yesterday. After staring at the track layout and lug pattern for about an hour, I decided to go with a 4-3-2 pattern. At first I was going to use a 4-2-4 pattern but I did not like having 4 studs on a pitch with an open clip because the outside studs would be very close to the open hole and easily get ripped out. Since this track has every third window closed I decided to put 4 studs on that pitch and then 3 or 2 on the others with open windows.

I will post a review as soon as we have some decent snow.

Here are a few pics, click any thumbnails for larger images.

looks good... you should hook up now! I have 108 down the middle on my warrior. cant be the traction on ice.

What's the difference between running studs only in the middle and having some on the outside too?

SnowLurk said:
What's the difference between running studs only in the middle and having some on the outside too?

less chance of ripping the track with them in the middle, I made it 2 passes before ripping my track with it studed on the outside, I will never stud there again.

They sure do bite when they are on the outside but yeah they pull out easy because of it. I am now all in the middle and its good for most conditions however I can get controlled slides in icy corners vs no slide when studded on the outside.

Not only do they rip out easily, they also flex with the track since there is very little support on the outside making them pretty useless. They also seem to make turning much harder. I actually increased weight transfer on my sled after installing the studs and it still does not feel much harder to turn.

I also wonder if the outside studs have any adverse effect on the rear idler wheels since they are now running over bumping metal stud bottoms instead of the smooth rubber track...

Back