• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

kkraus

Expert
Has anyone else had this problem? I had 27 miles on my XTX and went to adjust my limiter straps up one notch. The left one was halfway torn through. I replaced it and adjusted them up one notch, 300 miles later the other side is tore in half. I see it is different design from the 08's that use a single strap. To me it looks like a poor design where they have the straps routed. They are right above the wheel guides so whenever you colapse your front suspension they can get caught on the guides and tear your straps. Any thoughts on a solution?

Yeah, I have my XTX at the dealer now for the same problem and they are blaming it on a sharp edge from the washer because mine tore next to the bolt and washer at the bottom. I only have 400 miles on it and am a little concerned that the washer was not the problem. I've been riding for quite some time on sleds from all manufacturers and have never seen a torn limiter strap. I still had it in the stock position as well.

I know its warranty but it's hard to warranty something they don't stock and that means downtime on a new sled waiting for parts! Wis sledder what dealer is yours at?

kkraus said:
I know its warranty but it's hard to warranty something they don't stock and that means downtime on a new sled waiting for parts! Wis sledder what dealer is yours at?
I understand what your saying. It sucks when something brand new gives you trouble. GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I thought the first time was a fluke because I have never had one fail on any Yamaha. Now it happened again with only 300 miles on it.

Sounds to me like your rebound dampening is a little on the light side. Does it seem to springboard at all? I know the Apex RTX's with the Pro Active CK had similar issues.

LJ I'll have to look into that. What adjustment should I try? Wis sledder you can rule out bad material I used a skidoo limiter because they didn't have one in stock. Thats the one that failed.

XTX center shocks do not have a rebound or compression adjustment and are factory equipped with supersonic rebound. You can take the shock off and have it revalved or you can spend the money to change it to an adjustable shock. See the Ohlins thread.

SB

I think it is a design issue, here is a pic. look how close the straps are to the cogs on the track, if you look at the left side you can see it has actually worn the bottom of the strap already on the edges. This picture is with 27 miles on the odometer. the right side is the Skidoo one I made work so I could ride it. Now that one broke too. I don't think the washers have anything to do with it. I am thinking when you compress the front suspension the straps roll on the shaft and get shredded by the cogs. :o|

Attachments

• DSCN0055 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0055 (Small).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 674
We'll one way to test that may be to cross the bottoms so that they stay in the center of the lower shaft. That or tie wrap or electrical tape a few bands around them. This way they would be in between the drive cogs. I may put extra load on the shaft but I would think it could handle it, at least for a few hundred miles.

What is your preload on the front shock spring?

I will have to try something like that. My settings are stock with the exception of pulling the straps up one notch and adjusting the transfer rods up a notch to keep the skies on the ground, a strap broke before I pulled it up a notch and after. I was also thinking of trying a small bungie cord between the straps so when the suspension compresses it would pull the straps together. This sucks!

Not sure if it would be wide enough but maybe two double backers instead of the washers that are there now. This would act as a washer (which is how Cat does it) and pull the two straps togather. If the double backer isn't wide enough you could always just make a plates out of some aluminum.

Just thinking out loud.

Back