• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx1 Oil Change

Hulkamania

Veteran
Hey guys Ive been trying to find a write up on how to do an oil change on my Rx1. My Rx didnt come with a book so Im not sure how to do it. Would anybody be able to tell me how to do it?

What oil filter do I need, and what oil would you guys suggest as far as weight is concerned? I will run synthetic Mobile 1 most likely, I just wasnt sure what to put in it for weight cause of the cold conditions.

Any links and help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a copy of the full owners manual and service manual for the 2003 RX-1 here: http://corey.cabler.com/yammypgs.html

If you don't want to download the manual, here are a few pages from the manual about doing the oil change and filter. Make sure you get a filter wrench, that factory filter must be put on at about 500ft.lbs!
Oil Change:

Oil Type:

Checking Oil Level:

Click thumbnails for larger images.

I run the Yamaha 0W40 Full-Synthetic with a Yamaha brand filter from my dealer. I run Mobil 1 in my cars/trucks with no problems but wanted to stick with Yamaha oil for my sled. They build the best engines so you know they make sure they sell the right oil for it.

Is 03 and 04 the same? I have an 04 model

Would you happen to know the filter number so I can cross reference it?

Also is it a full 4 qts or around 3.5 with an oil filter change?

Engine wise I believe all the RX-1's are the same with the only difference being suspension upgrades (2005 has mono-shock rear).

The only part number I can get for the oil filter right now is from Port Yamaha and it is: OIL ELEMENT ASSY 5GH-13440-00-00 (replaces 5GH-13440-10-00) Picture and price of filter

With the oil filter change, it takes just over 3 quarts (3.2 according to manual). I put 2-1/2 quarts into the oil tank and run the engine until it's warm, then let it sit for about a minute or so and check the level. Remember to only rest the dipstick on the threads to check the level and DO NOT SCREW IT IN to check or you will leave it too low.

The 4.0 quarts the manual list as a "total capacity" is the amount it would take after a full rebuild since the engine would be "dry" with no oil at all.

Back