• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Idler wheels,2 bolt mounts,Mono skid fixes...PICS!!!

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
I just got my parts back from Brian (welterracer) Brian at halfbaked coatings does a fantastic job on his BEEFUP KIT,the Beef up kit adds Gussets to the front arm of our MONO skid similar to the 09s. He also fixes any cracks(i had a few) and powdercoats them to look better then NEW!....Great Job BRIAN!

BEFORE

AFTER!

I put the skid back together and figured i would share my FIXES for all the issues our MONO skids have. Most of you know these fixes but the subject of idler wheels, cracked arms and rails,overheated clips, and shock rubbing are in the threads dailey....so im hoping this thread helps many.

Mono skids from 06 to 08 all seem to have same issues,even some 09s and 10s too

-sliders wear too fast
-idler wheels
-shock rubbing the track
-cracked rails
-cracked front arms
-losing track clips
-slider bolts shearing off,sliders coming off
-slider CAPS coming loose

I wanted to address ALL of the above issues once an for all!!!

135mm Idlers
to start with,i think a larger OD idler wheel solves many probs we have....it reduces slider wear and slider heat,while also reducing clips overheating which inturn often leads to clips coming off. the larger wheels solve alot(135mm with 6205 bearings)

2 bolt mounts
In conjunction with 135mm idlers, you also need to install 2 bolts mounts. this cures any RAIL cracking due to its better support of the 135mm wheels. I use BRP 2 bolt mounts. you will keep stock 1 bolt mounts ONLY at one location(middle outers)....these do not need the support since they are attached to steel brackets and cannot bend,you will need to grind off approx 2mm off flat/backside of stock mount,this allows the stock LOCKNUTS and BOLTS to be used on your new 135mm wheels with 6205 bearings.otherwise the stock locknut is not gonna grab and lock properly.you will also need to enlargen the BRP bolt hole slightly to accept the stock yammie bolt at the front location only(outers) the rear inners will need the BRP long bolts.

2 bolt mount(BRP)

need to grind out groove alittle to match the edge of rails...easy!(OUTERS test fit)

INNERS(BRP)DONE

I am using BRP 135mm wheels for inners(shown above)i have seen much luck with KIMPEX PRO IDLERS at this location too(5.25" you want)....outers I decided to use BILLET 135mm wheels,since they are lifetime warranteed thru tricked toys,no more rubber coming off!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
replacing the slider caps....I filled them with silicone and used stainless steel bolts,nylock nuts and washers,this should help keep them tighter....

More wheels are also needed in front and middle....i use the fix powersports kits....i know some have had issues with them,but the wheels can be replaced for cheap and i think they help alot at the curve and middle...you can get cheap replacement wheels for the FIX KITS online.

BRP parts for 2 bolt mounts:
-503 190 389 (2 bolt mounts,need qty 4)
-207 088 544 (8mm x 85mm long bolts for INNER idlers only(need qty 2) outers you will use stock bolts)
-207 182 544 (8mm x 25mm short bolts for bottom of mounts,need at all locations,need qty 4)
-233 281 414 (8mm nylock nuts for all bolts,need qty 6 )
-503 183 100 (large washers for against wheels,needed at inners only,need qty2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For my slider bolt fix
Next I wanted to solve the horrible design of the slider bolts that are threaded into the front of the rails,most guys strip these right away,and they are a bitch to get in straight most times....DOOs come with a nice nylock nut on their slider bolts....so I did same. this will help those guys who have had their slider bolts loosen,and then sheared off by track,you know who you are!....this will cure that!

I drilled a hole thru side of rail in the center of where the threads show....i counted up 5.5 threads(6mm) from bottom angled edge of rails,i made a punch mark there into the threads,then drilled a small hole 3/16",then enlarged the hole to 13/32"...then I drilled out the stock threaded holes with a 1/4" bit,this cleans out the threads...i then used a FILE to square off the 11/32 hole to accept the DOO nylock nut tightly....this holds itself in place when tightening the slider bolt....install sliders,use stock bolts and DOO nylock nuts and apply locktight..DONE!

Slider Bolts FIX
-use stock 6mm bolts
-232 561 414 (BRP/DOO nylock nuts for slider bolts,qty 2)

measure 6mm or 5.5 threads up

Make PUNCH mark there at 6mm

Drill a 3/16 hole first,then a 13/32 hole

Use a small file to square off hole

Now drill out threads with 1/4" bit

test fit the nylock nut

Done!

More to come....
Dan

Before BEEFUP

After BEEFUP

Next i wanted to stop the shock eye from rubbing against the track....

the 09s came with a welded on LOOP,so i figured id make my own before sending out for powdercoat....

cut some tubing

before

DONE!

Skid all done and ready to install tomorrow

Dan

Great pics Dan and thanks for including part numbers. Do you happen to have part numbers for the BRP black idler wheels? Do they come with 6205 bearings installed or need to be purchased separate?

Excellent post. I have the extra wheel kit from Wahl's with the 4 wheels, but can be configued with two. I think I am going to copy your placement in the front... Did you check to be sure they won't hit in that location when compressed?

Shootinstick said:
Great pics Dan and thanks for including part numbers. Do you happen to have part numbers for the BRP black idler wheels? Do they come with 6205 bearings installed or need to be purchased separate?

i highly recommend the KIMPEX PRO wheels ,they are real beefy and many have said they hold up well....the BRP wheels im using are OK but i can see after 500 miles or so they wont last much longer,im just using them till they quit then will be installing the PRO idlers....for those who do not want to spend the coin on billets,you could use these PRO wheels in all 6 locations. they are not quite as tall as a 135mm but better then stock 130mm.(NOTE: these might be too fat for INNER location,might want to run a narrower BRP wheel inners only)

the 5.25" PRO idlers w/ 6205 bearing can be bought at a killer special price right now of 12.99!
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/04-052-20.html?id=Sx3ubkRT

Dan

Thanks again dan..

We want everyone to know that we are still accepting beef up kits.. So if you need this service done get a hold of me or ship them out..

THe kits with basic color powder coating runs $195 and shipping on the kit is $25 from us to you in the lower 48 states.. We also do kits for the guys in Canada and also have one coming from Sweden.. We can also add anthing else you might want done to the arms..

Thanks

Brian

snowdust2 said:
Excellent post. I have the extra wheel kit from Wahl's with the 4 wheels, but can be configued with two. I think I am going to copy your placement in the front... Did you check to be sure they won't hit in that location when compressed?

been running my front wheel kit for 2 seasons...no probs.

Dan

Thanks for the link on the wheels Dan. Great deal just ordered 8 of them, 2 for the Attak and 6 for the RX1-$110 with shipping!

Also did all the updates last year, except for the tube for the shock protector I did that this year on the RX1.

I did my own welding and painted it. It looks the same as the ones you had done. Put about 2,000 miles on both sleds last year with no cracks or breakage!

One other thing that works good is to use the 05 front upper bushings and pins in the front W arm. I noticed last year they are a lot better than the 06 style, they are a thick white nylon (rather than the thin black plastic)with a smaller steel bushing. I turned my own bushings out of stainless steel. Compare them and you will see!

Front arm w/2.0" wheels

Dan i used those same two wheel shaft set up on my xp800 in the same location,they work ok as long as you stay on very nice flat trails or just the lake,but got trashed very quickly thru the bumps and junk,as they have no side load capabalities,only being held on the shaft with snap rings,but do work nice and are hidden,what i want to know is the same size small ones you have mounted inside just ahead of your rear inside wheels,what is the number and how did you mount them,i would like to get a set of them. Thanks Pete

Back