• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 AK sled projects

Nikolai

TY 4 Stroke God
Any of the Alaska boys feel free to post up, I know there's a few Nytro projects happening this summer. Mine will be slow so it'd be nice if we could get a few builds going. And so it begins...

Got this today
mtxtunnel.jpg

A few hours later
tunnelside-1.jpg

That a boy! :Rockon: One more weekend and Mine will begin as well. Should be a fun summer. As you saw there is not much more left to my sled so there will be a lot of work. I was thinking about pulling my front heat exchanger this week and see how it changes track speed this weekend. If I do I think I'll pull my headlight and I have a switch on my fan to run it continues so I think it will keep cool. :yam:

Ill have a couple projects going this summer. Will have pics soon.

You made quick work of that tunnel, lol.

Tunnel braces and extrusion are ordered, I'm picking up the 4x8 sheet of .080 5052 after work tomorrow, and there should be a tubing bender and notcher in the mail tomorrow morning :Rockon:

JD 32 bender(mechanical one). It's only $100 more than the model 3 and has some nice features. I'm only getting the 3/4" 2.25" radius die for now but I'll get more later. Tubing notcher is the JD2 Notchmaster. Just need to get the TIG welder now. I'm stoked I'll be able to fab all my own parts now...bumpers, a-arms, seat frames, truck bumpers/steps ect. Been waiting years to do all this.

Split the sheet twice, I only need two 2'x4' pieces
IMG_0528.jpg

Screwed some new plywood to the table and then screwed the two sheets to the wood. Next I'm going to fasten the stock side to the two new pieces and drill out all the factory holes. This will ensure that everything lines up like factory when done. After that I'll shear and bend them.
IMG_0533.jpg

Nikolai said:
Split the sheet twice, I only need two 2'x4' pieces

Screwed some new plywood to the table and then screwed the two sheets to the wood. Next I'm going to fasten the stock side to the two new pieces and drill out all the factory holes. This will ensure that everything lines up like factory when done. After that I'll shear and bend them.

Just remember that the right side and the left side are mirror images of themselves ;):D

Can't wait to see your finished project this fall. ;)!

Scott

Started drilling and screwing it down through all the factory holes.
IMG_0534.jpg

Finished that and then drew out the shape. All the sides will be sheared and then I'll mark the bend lines.
IMG_0539.jpg

Picked up some .063 4130 for the tunnel to bulkhead plates
IMG_0537.jpg

Again using the factory side to layout the holes
IMG_0541.jpg

Layout finished.
IMG_0542.jpg

Cleaning up the edges so everything matches 100%.
IMG_0544.jpg

All done. Once I get my suspension holes drilled I'll go back and holesaw a few holes to lighten theses up(like the factory ones). I can't remember what the stockers weigh but these weigh 1.5 lbs. ea as pictured. I'm also going to weld nuts on the backside like stock.
IMG_0547.jpg

Looking good Caleb!

The season is over now my project can start. My project will probably be a little slower than yours to get into full swing but its time to start. First project is going to be building a perfectly flat and level steel 4x8 table so I can mount the bulk head to it before the sled is torn down and have all my important measurements to build the new chassis off of. Also will be handy to be able to weld jigs onto the table to help in fab.

As of now its looking like I'm going to run a stock Nytro bottom end and throttle body's, stock bulkhead (off a non-reverse sled in exchange for my reverse), new stock plastics, stock drive shaft, steering hoop and thats basically it everything else will be custom or aftermarket. Going to be a very busy summer for a guy building it out of a 1 car garage and on a heating guys income lol.

I decided to scrap the tunnel sides and have something else worked out. Should have it fitted by next week. Teaser pic for now...

IMG_0553.jpg

Well I picked up my Tig welder today but I don't have any progress pics cause my sled is still in the bed of my truck until I get my garage situation figured out. So As of now I'm in the design phase and trying to learn to Tig weld as fast as I can so as soon as I get rolling I can move as fast as possible. Until then working as much as I can to try to afford this summer as well.

8e639518.jpg

Back