• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Tank Snap Fasteners (parts list and directions)

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
Since installing a trail tank I've been very happy with the extra range it provides. My only complaint has been with the thumb screw fasteners. Even with my modified dzus fasteners it is difficult to align the hood and screw them in. I've been looking for other methods and with limited options decided to try using snaps to hold the hood in place. I installed stainless steel marine grade snaps which I'm hoping will hold up to the vibrations and weather. They don't look to bad and definitely make it easier to deal with the hood but will need to be tested out on the trail. http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... fasteners/

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04574.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

That looks great Grizz....I was going to ask you to machine my dzus fasteners but may wait to see how this pans out...what a great idea....curious still on how much for you to make my dzus fasteners threaded.

Interesting solution, I'd be curious to see how they hold up as well. How did you secure the snaps into the tank? Do they just screw in?

Grimm said:
Interesting solution, I'd be curious to see how they hold up as well. How did you secure the snaps into the tank? Do they just screw in?

I purchased a set of snaps that came without studs. I had several 5mm cap screws that I modified and soldered to the snaps so that they could be installed into the existing thumbscrew holes. The pictures show the modified studs that were used only to do a test fit. I've ordered new studs that will screw in without any modifications. Once I verify that the new studs work I'll post all the details.

If this works it will be an easy and cheap solution and if it doesn't I'll go back to my modified dzus fasteners.

I like this idea! I find the thumb screws to be a PITA compared to the OEM Dzus fasteners.

Trail Tank Snap Installation:
Order Summary: http://search.sailrite.com/category/fas ... -fasteners
333115 Snap Fastener Machine Screw 3/8" Stud Flangeless #10-32 (5mm) $0.28
444777 Snap Fastener Button 11/64" (Stainless Steel) $0.22
444050 Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket (Stainless Steel) $0.22
25204 Snap Fastener Installation Tool $2.95

* The tool is cheap but works. You may want to find a local upholtery shop to install the snaps with a better tool.

PM if you have any questions.
DSC04606.jpg

1) Stud installation
DSC04590.jpg

2) Remove square pads around the holes on the backside of the hood
DSC04597.jpg

3) Drill out the holes with a 7/16" bit. A Unibit works well
DSC04599.jpg

4)Insert the snap socket into the hole and use a installation tool to secure the button to it
DSC04602.jpg

5)The hood is slightly lifted away from the tank due to the snaps so I used a heat gun to bend the rear corners down. If you do this only heat the inside of the hood and use low heat until the plastic just starts to soften. It doesn't take much heat.
DSC04611.jpg

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... fasteners/

I just completed this mod...I'm pretty confident that they will hold the hood on fine while riding. My concern is that over time, the snaps will fail while removing the hood in cold weather, but we will see.

Again, great idea. ;)!

The snaps are holding up well out on the trail. We haven't had extremely cold weather yet but so far they haven't broke or come unsnapped. I've had the hood on and off many times since installing the snaps and what an improvement over the thumb screws.

If The Trail Tanks came with a 2-3 mm recessed fastener area to allow for the installation of the snap stud and socket they could do away with the thumb screws or at least add the snaps as an option. If you have a Trail Tank and hate the looks of those thumb screws and dread removing them to get under the hood give this mod some consideration.

Mine are holding up as well, however I've only popped off the hood a few times so far.

Hey guys just wondering how the snaps are holding up? Also did you put snaps on the side panels where they attach to the tank at the back?

Mine are holding up great, no problems.
I haven't added snap to the side panels, but am considering this too.

I forgot to give an update on how the snap fasteners held up. I ran over 2000 miles last year with them installed on my hood and side panels and had absolutely no problems with them coming loose or braking. They look a lot better than the thumb screws and makes the hood removal a "Snap".

Back