• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Good Track Change Guide

07Nytro

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
None right now
hello, looking for a good track changing guide. I want a freeride but i dont know how to remove the jackshaft pieces. I found a awesome guide on snowmobile finatics for oil change, hopefully i can get something good here or some where else regarding tracks. And i did attemp a search with not much coming up

I was looking for the same thing. I found lots of info for other sleds but I herd somewhere that the phazer has something different with the chain case that makes it more complicated.

actually it's real simple. i'll try to remember the steps here so chime in if i forget something.

whoops, try it again

1-lift rear of sled, take out 4 suspension bolts holding skid & remove.
2-take side panels off both sides.
3-disconnect/remove battery.
4-find the 3-5 bolts that hold the battery tray & wiring harness, remove bolts & swing the assembly towards the ski. (just get out of the way)
5-drain chain case & remove the chain case cover.
6-take off chain & bottom gear.(keep clean)
7-there is a bearing retainer w/ 3 bolts behind the bottom gear, remove.
8-jump to the other side.
9-take off the speed sensor & bracket.
10-then take off the 4 bolts that hold the driveshaft in place.(carefull here)
11-the driveshaft will be able to slide out of the chaincase side & then drop straight down.
12-now you can pull the track out & reverse the procedure.

sorry if you can't understand. just spit something out off the top of my head.

you don't need to mess with the jackshaft either.

if you ever changed a track before, you'll be amazed how easy it is on these phazer's.

xt_gt said:
whoops, try it again

1-lift rear of sled, take out 4 suspension bolts holding skid & remove.
2-take side panels off both sides.
3-disconnect/remove battery.
4-find the 3-5 bolts that hold the battery tray & wiring harness, remove bolts & swing the assembly towards the ski. (just get out of the way)
5-drain chain case & remove the chain case cover.
6-take off chain & bottom gear.(keep clean)
7-there is a bearing retainer w/ 3 bolts behind the bottom gear, remove.
8-jump to the other side.
9-take off the speed sensor & bracket.
10-then take off the 4 bolts that hold the driveshaft in place.(carefull here)
11-the driveshaft will be able to slide out of the chaincase side & then drop straight down.
12-now you can pull the track out & reverse the procedure.

Yep that's pretty much it. We just cut down and put a new Cobra on my sons Phazer. We are planning on posting a how too vidoe on track cutting using tools that almost any one has.

I have put tracks in Doo's, Nytro's, Vectors, and now a Phazer and the Phazer was hands down the easiest of them all.

What happens when you remove the chain case cover? Do things start falling out?

dont forget the brake rotor and caliper. the spacers in those have to go back in the same way they came out. also when its out make sure to check the passage for the reverse oiling system. i didnt and the water in the oil froze the passage and my shift fork bent in my reverse gearbox. thats a pain to take out but did it in 4 hours start to finish.

So do the brakes have to be removed to change the track???

3wheelerdude said:

yes. now that i remember. unbolt the 2 allen/torx that hold the caliper on. move that aside.
then there is a snap ring i think on the end of the shaft that holds the spacer/shim & rotor on. once the snap ring is off everything just slides right off.

xt_gt said:
3wheelerdude said:

yes. now that i remember. unbolt the 2 allen/torx that hold the caliper on. move that aside.
then there is a snap ring i think on the end of the shaft that holds the spacer/shim & rotor on. once the snap ring is off everything just slides right off.

also the parking brake needs to be removed. 2 allen screws as well. if you set and release your parking brake lever untill you find the right spot the bolts will come right out. i did mine about 6 now its pretty easy now ha. also when you take your chaincase cover off and put it back on make sure the rubber gasket is on right or you will get water in your case/your oil will leak out....

Back