• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cleaning & polishing tips wanted

Groomerdriver

TY 4 Stroke Master
Getting the Vector ready for what hopefully will be a banner year of riding in a new area. I usually don't really care what the sled looks like as long as it's relatively clean and runs. But this year I'd like to get a little more shine on the old girl.

What products do you guys/gals recommend for:

Aluminum tunnel - I'm not looking to buff it out to a mirror finish, just want to clean it up. I don't want to get tendinitis in the elbow doing it. B)

Front end plastic parts - just want to clean it real well and maybe get a little shine on the parts

Seat - I've used 303 for years, but are open to suggestions to clean and brighten it up.

I use Plexus on the plastic cowl and windshield, get compliments all the time on how good it looks.

For the black plastic I have always used Armorall but I think I will try this back to black stuff?

For the seat I use McGuire's Marine cleaner/Protectant, it provides UV protection and shines up real nice without leaving the seat slippery.

OP:
I will second 303, it is all I use on the sled seat or on my tonneau cover, lasts a long time and does not make things glossy or wet looking, but it makes things like tires and such look like its brand new. Ive also read that it replaces some of the "chemicals" that other products are leaching them away.

Guys who have done the Mothers powerball:
I did the shine up last year, it didnt last through the 700 mile season though. I probably didnt seal it correctly.

How did you guys keep the ball from getiing chewed to hell on the sharp running boards? I tried masking the raised diamond grips and the outside edges off but it didnt help. I want the mirror shine like Ive seen on some sleds on this site. I aim to just have to do minor upkep to protect the aluminum yearly, not start from scratch every year. I had it looking like a mirror on my extended tunnel cover, but the running boards didnt lok-ok that great the first time, and after 700 miles they look like crap again. Im very used to auto detailing and have a lot of good products, I just dont have the knowledge of polishing aluminum and sealing it correctly, or sealing it (my sealer didnt work at all), and making the powerball or cone last long at all.

04JRB said:
OP:
I will second 303, it is all I use on the sled seat or on my tonneau cover, lasts a long time and does not make things glossy or wet looking, but it makes things like tires and such look like its brand new. Ive also read that it replaces some of the "chemicals" that other products are leaching them away.

I did the shine up last year, it didnt last through the 700 mile season though. I probably didnt seal it correctly.

How did you guys keep the ball from getiing chewed to hell on the sharp running boards? I tried masking the raised diamond grips and the outside edges off but it didnt help. I want the mirror shine like Ive seen on some sleds on this site. I aim to just have to do minor upkep to protect the aluminum yearly, not start from scratch every year. I had it looking like a mirror on my extended tunnel cover, but the running boards didnt lok-ok that great the first time, and after 700 miles they look like crap again. Im very used to auto detailing and have a lot of good products, I just dont have the knowledge of polishing aluminum and sealing it correctly, or sealing it (my sealer didnt work at all), and making the powerball or cone last long at all.

04JRB, this thread should help you ;)!
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=90900

Irv said:
04JRB said:
OP:

04JRB, this thread should help you ;)!
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=90900

Thanks, Ill give it a read!

Back