• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LOW OIL!!!!

00-NUKE

Expert
If anyone knows????? I hit something that applied a serious amount of pressure to my skid plate and forced a plastic ridge of the skid plate up into my oil filter mid ride. I was in the middle of nowhere when my oil light came on and it died. When I got to a town I checked my oil and was really low. 2 3/4 quarts low. There was no knocking but I am unsure how a dry sump works. Does anyone know if anything would have gotten wrecked?

spin on a new filter put in some oil. then spin the motor over with the key off. (jump the starter solinoid) for a few seconds. then start it up and check for noises. also check in the filter that you remove for metal shavings.

And if there is a screen in the oil tank like the phazers i would check it for metal shavings.

poleclimber said:
If it was that bad the engine would have shut itself off. Do the above and u should b fine.

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. If you represent a Yamaha dealership you are giving out very poor advise. If the oil filter starts leaking while the motor is operating the oil pressure available to the motor will drop. With a lower oil pressure for a given RPM the rod bearings will be the first to fail. The low oil pressure switch will NOT shut the engine down until it is too late in this scenario. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if the oil filter leak was substantial enough while the motor was doing 4000+ rpm, the rod bearings will be damaged. You can replace the filter and top it up with oil but it will probably grenade ( it will start knocking and if you continue to run it most likely the center rod will put a hole through the crankcase) within the next 100 miles.

Roest said:
poleclimber said:
If it was that bad the engine would have shut itself off. Do the above and u should b fine.

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. If you represent a Yamaha dealership you are giving out very poor advise. If the oil filter starts leaking while the motor is operating the oil pressure available to the motor will drop. With a lower oil pressure for a given RPM the rod bearings will be the first to fail. The low oil pressure switch will NOT shut the engine down until it is too late in this scenario. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if the oil filter leak was substantial enough while the motor was doing 4000+ rpm, the rod bearings will be damaged. You can replace the filter and top it up with oil but it will probably grenade within the next 100 miles.

I don't represent any dealership. just have info on a dealership that my father in law owns. I'll leave it at that. I've seen a few guys forget to take the old o-ring off and loose all the oil out of the engine and not notice until the belt starts slipping there so much oil and their motors were just fine. I've had it happen to me and the motor shut off and it was just fine.

So what do u think this guy should do then? Tear out the motor and rebuild it?

Nuke, how long did you ride the sled after the light came on?

well it dosen't look like it is to easy to pull the pan and oil pump. to check the rod bearings. that's another thought I had. but if there is any metal in the filter or pick up screen. chances are its done. but if not do what I stated. and cross your fingers.

poleclimber said:
Roest said:
poleclimber said:

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. If you represent a Yamaha dealership you are giving out very poor advise. If the oil filter starts leaking while the motor is operating the oil pressure available to the motor will drop. With a lower oil pressure for a given RPM the rod bearings will be the first to fail. The low oil pressure switch will NOT shut the engine down until it is too late in this scenario. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if the oil filter leak was substantial enough while the motor was doing 4000+ rpm, the rod bearings will be damaged. You can replace the filter and top it up with oil but it will probably grenade within the next 100 miles.

Says the guy trying to sell skid plates....

I don't represent any dealership. just have info on a dealership that my father in law owns. I'll leave it at that. I've seen a few guys forget to take the old o-ring off and loose all the oil out of the engine and not notice until the belt starts slipping there so much oil and their motors were just fine. I've had it happen to me and the motor shut off and it was just fine.

I am not trying to sell skid plates (nor did I mention them). They sell themselves. As for "what should he do"? That's up to him. They will probably replace the filter, top up the oil and ride it. If it starts to knock they should shut it down immediately.

Roest said:
poleclimber said:
Roest said:
poleclimber said:

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. If you represent a Yamaha dealership you are giving out very poor advise. If the oil filter starts leaking while the motor is operating the oil pressure available to the motor will drop. With a lower oil pressure for a given RPM the rod bearings will be the first to fail. The low oil pressure switch will NOT shut the engine down until it is too late in this scenario. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if the oil filter leak was substantial enough while the motor was doing 4000+ rpm, the rod
bearings will be damaged. You can replace the filter and top it up with oil but it will probably grenade within the next 100 miles.

That's what I'd do before I sunk a bunch of $ into something that might not even b broke.

00-NUKE said:
If anyone knows????? I just performed an intake mod where a piece of plastic dropped down under my motor. I hit something that applied a serious amount of pressure to my skid plate and forced that piece of plastic up into my oil filter mid ride. I was in the middle of nowhere when my oil light came on. when I got to a stopping destination I checked my oil and was really low. 2 3/4 quarts low. There is no knocking but I am unsure how a dry sump works. Does anyone know if anything would have gotten wrecked?

00-NUKE, here's a good thread to read through. Kind of long but very imformative.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=85858

poleclimber said:
Roest said:
poleclimber said:
Roest said:
poleclimber said:

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. If you represent a Yamaha dealership you are giving out very poor advise. If the oil filter starts leaking while the motor is operating the oil pressure available to the motor will drop. With a lower oil pressure for a given RPM the rod bearings will be the first to fail. The low oil pressure switch will NOT shut the engine down until it is too late in this scenario. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if the oil filter leak was substantial enough while the motor was doing 4000+ rpm, the rod
bearings will be damaged. You can replace the filter and top it up with oil but it will probably grenade within the next 100 miles.

That's what I'd do before I sunk a bunch of $ into something that might not even b broke.

Ya no kidding. He doesn't even know if there is permanent internal engine damage. I'd replace the oil and filter and check for metal filings for starters. If you start findiong alot of filings, then reassess.

My experience says you will be good to go. You will know in the next 1000k. If you get some bad vibration, hot lights and knocking then you know. Just get the oil back in it with new filter and go. Yamalube has a very resilient filming ability. It is pretty good oil and if it was not ran for long with no oil it should be fine. You can always add some lucas to the mix as well. I have good results with Yamalube, amsoil and lucas.

00-NUKE The Nytro engine is a very durable engine, however the one thing that will kill it is oil starvation.
The best way to test for damage without tearing the engine apart is to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure. If there is bearing damage the oil pressure will be much lower then normal when the oil is at operating temps.
When doing the test the oil needs to be at operating temperature because cold oil will be thicker and can give you a false normal reading.
Below are some pic's of a Nytro that lost oil. When the oil was cold the oil pressure was approx 20psi at idle and 45-50 psi at 6000 rpm. Then a heat gun and temperature probe was used to heat the oil up to around 180 degrees F. Oil pressure readings were taken again and as you can see it dropped to 30psi at 5000rpm and approx 1-2 psi at idle!!!
When the engine was torn down both the center and PTO rod bearings were both spun. If the owner had decided to run the sled in this condition, it is very likely he would of had a catastrphic engine failure (rod through the block) like Roest mentioned.
The oil pressure sender can be removed to install the mechanical oil pressure gauge.
It's better to spend a little money now, have the pressure tested and know if she's going to be ok or not. If it's damaged your looking at an engine that is repairable. If you take it out and ride it to see if its ok, there is the risk of doing more damage and having to buy a complete engine assembly.

Attachments

• oil pressure hook up.jpg
    oil pressure hook up.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,698
  • oil pressure reading warm.jpg
    oil pressure reading warm.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 458
  • oil pressure at idle warm oil.jpg
    oil pressure at idle warm oil.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 473
  • warm oil.jpg
    warm oil.jpg