• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

loud clutch noise when coming to a stop

nytrolovin

Veteran
I wonder if one of you tech guys can give me a hand? I have an 08 nytro and on my last ride i started getting loud clicking noises coming from the clutch side when decelerating. Upon some inspection, the secondary is spinning with the jackshaft about six inches before it will engauge the track. Also it seems to have chewed up a brand new belt. do i have to take aprt the chaincase? Thanks

The 6" of secondary movement is typical with a reverse equipped chaincase, though you may want to check the chain tension to make sure it hasn't stretched a ton.

The noise was probably your belt coming apart. Possibly a 'bad' belt or you may have been 'abusing' it with some speed runs or powder riding, dunno. Or your clutches could be out of alignment....

Thanks Cheif. That is a releif I guess i just never noticed how much the secondary moved around before. I guess the metalic noises that i heard when coming to a stop made me think of the chaincase but the tension is fine. I am now hoping that i just got a bum belt. thanks

Why not take apart your clutches to clean them and make sure everything is alright. Seeing that this is a 2008, I'm assuming they've never been serviced? No use replacing the belt and the same thing happening again.

This may be a late post but here goes, I had the same type of noise on my 2005 Vector and it turned out to be the jack-shaft bearing. I'd have both bearings checked on the clutch side.

Back