• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bearings

yamahas

Staff member
Tech Advisor
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Phazer RTX
I have been reading on here about bearing failing and causing lots of trips to end fast. This has me a bit worried about mine with a long trip i am heading on next week (about 1000kms)

I have an 09 with just over 4000kms and have yet to repack/replace bearings. I feel like its about time i get it done before something happens.

Does anyone have some info to guide me through this? Im talking about like the speedo bearing and drive shaft type bearings, not the ones in the skid.

How many of these bearings do we have?

Thanks.

yamahas said:
I have been reading on here about bearing failing and causing lots of trips to end fast. This has me a bit worried about mine with a long trip i am heading on next week (about 1000kms)

I have an 09 with just over 4000kms and have yet to repack/replace bearings. I feel like its about time i get it done before something happens.

Does anyone have some info to guide me through this? Im talking about like the speedo bearing and drive shaft type bearings, not the ones in the skid.

How many of these bearings do we have?

Thanks.
i repack mine every season,the speedo and jackshaft are the only 2 you can regrease,on the other side they are in the chaincase so cant do much about it except to replace them,all you have to do is remove belt and secondary clutch,then you can pop the seal very gently with a sharp seal pick,try to clean the old grease out the best you can and repack with a good white lithium grease,will have to remove the speedo sensor and holding plate to get to the bearing,be careful when cleaning so you dont pop the inside seal,11500 miles and never replaced a bearing yet

Sounds good, thanks pat.

To take the secondary clutch off you just take the bolt out? I have never done this.

White lithium grease like the spray? I picked up this Bel Ray Waterproof Grease.

apply your parking brake,then use a wrench and loosen bolt,be careful not to lose the washers,i think there is a washer behind the clutch also,you will see it on the shaft if there is one,dont use a spray grease,get a tube of white lithium for snowmobiles,you have to push the grease between the balls the best you can,dont forget to release brake when your done

Any tips to clean, WD40?

So are you saying that the Bel waterproof grease for bearings is no good? It says its good for all temperature.

Thanks for the great tips.

it might be good but usually when you pack bearings you dont use spray grease,at least i dont,as for cleaning,wd 40 is good or fluid film,i use that on everything,great stuff, then i gently blow air ,really gently,remember the inside seal,dont want to pop that out,

its a tub of grease. I was planing on using a syringe that is used to measure medication for little kids to get the grease in there between the balls.

I was wondering about the white lithium grease since the only that i have seen/have is a spray but the grease i have is a tub.

Thanks for all the tips Pat, i appreciate it.

I did mine and glad I did. The little bit of grease that was in there was pretty stiff. Looked like old Vaseline. Cleaned them out with WD40 and air and used Yamaha snowmobile low temp grease. Will see how it stands up at the end of the season.

One thing I read was to not completely pack the bearing with grease. Either it will overheat or push out the seal. I guess there has to be some space for expansion.

Good point Mooseman, il put grease every second ball or something.

I will try to tackle this tomorrow and post some pics if anyone is interested in seeing how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help

yamahas said:
I was planing on using a syringe that is used to measure medication for little kids to get the grease in there between the balls.

Have you been snooping around my garage? LOL!

Crewchief47 said:
yamahas said:
I was planing on using a syringe that is used to measure medication for little kids to get the grease in there between the balls.

Have you been snooping around my garage? LOL!

LOL nope, just my mothers kitchen drawers.

I would still put grease on all the balls but not pack so much into it that it oozes out when you put the seal back on. I'd say I filled mine about 3/4 with grease. I basically laid a bead of grease from the grease gun all around and pushed it in with my finger in a circular motion.

Back