• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 XRS 800ETech- Welcome to the blown motor club!

sherlock29

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Thought i'd throw this out there. A buddy of mine on friday blew the engine out of his new etech.... just over 1700 miles on sled. from what we have been told... the new 800's are having crank problems. the one that are going at crappin out at around 2000 miles. (4 i know of now) one of the other boys has 3000 on his(only 8 weeks old) and already is talking about when his goes... dealer says updated crank for 2012... man the is so familiar... when i had my 800 rev's i'd only get 4000m out of a motor.... this is why i went blue... :yam:

The crank is the same one they have used for it's the weak link in the engins...I spoke with a friend who is well known in the sled world, building some very fast sleds..he tells me that the cranks are just not beefy enough..they need to redesign the entire bottom end, not just the crank. Everybody is so hyped on the Etec...sure is may be quick...but it's still a tickingtime bomb..just with a fancy fuel injection setup. It's too bad really, cause if the 800 was more reliable I'd consider one..I like the sled, just don't like the reliability.

Im in the same boat.. love the sled... shocks, design, handling... heck 3 out of my group bought new ones this year... i'm just sitting back watching them blow... not bad for 15G.. hehe

sherlock29 said:
Im in the same boat.. love the sled... shocks, design, handling... heck 3 out of my group bought new ones this year... i'm just sitting back watching them blow... not bad for 15G.. hehe
Yup my 08 xp800 had 2700 miles and i could feel things starting to tighten up down there,reason i dumpped it. Doo still does not oil there crank bearings,they greese them,so when all that greese is gone,so is the crank..

And when the crank goes, it usually causes a major catastrophy...most guys I know that have had a crank go have spent $2200 to fix it....no thanks.

shaddow44 said:
And when the crank goes, it usually causes a major catastrophy...most guys I know that have had a crank go have spent $2200 to fix it....no thanks.

just before my crank let go it gave me a warning, closed the gap on the mag side plug, i put a new plug in and rode it hoping to get back to the cottage, it let go on Ahemic harbour, wrecked the case's, both jugs and the head, that was my last doo
but a guy i ride with got 9,000 miles out of his 01 800 and 7,500 miles out of his 03 800 with no problems

ScottyD said:
shaddow44 said:

just before my crank let go it gave me a warning, closed the gap on the mag side plug, i put a new plug in and rode it hoping to get back to the cottage, it let go on Ahemic harbour, wrecked the case's, both jugs and the head, that was my last doo
but a guy i ride with got 9,000 miles out of his 01 800 and 7,500 miles out of his 03 800 with no problems

It's weird..some will go for long time and others won't last a season..like I said, the reliability issues with that engine keep me away from it.

shaddow44 said:
ScottyD said:
shaddow44 said:

It's weird..some will go for long time and others won't last a season..like I said, the reliability issues with that engine keep me away from it.

i have heard of the 600 etec's blowing up also along with the 800's, i don't agree with the reduced oil consumption of the etec's, i think the most reliable motor they have is the iron bore 600 thats in the 500ss
if they had a better 800 i'd probably have another doo also

Doo I believe is paying for taking weight off and in these cases the wrong place. It take steel to make something durable and yes it weighs more which is why Yammi's are a little heavier but they are durable and reliable. I am glad Yamaha does not compromise reliabilty to reduce weight and they should actually market their sleds that way. Quality almost always weighs more period.

i cant figure out why people go back to doo even after numerous blown engines,i guess to them,the ride is the most important thing,who cares about the motor,right,and its been like that for years

I read dootalk from time to time (to see how the other half lives) and I don't understand it either. Like some automakers used to do, ski-doo seems to engineer for failure after the warrenty expires. No doubt, they are great riding sleds and some people get lucky. But why push your luck when there are gas and go alternatives.

Looking at the percentage of blow ups per the amount of units they sell, it isn't engines that bug me about XPs so much. The snowmobile just feels cheap or something...I don't know what it is. They are fun though, I might be able to get used to tin can feel lol.

Back