• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My fuel pump keeps quitting on me...

Elliottt

Veteran
HI and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I just bought a 2007 Phazer FX and I love it but.....(theres always a but right ) I live in Saskatchewan and lately its been cold and it appears that my fuel pump is freezing up. Usually I turn the key on and you can hear the pump pumping up. It was - 25 Celsius one day and I could not hear the pump pumping up and it would not start because it was getting no fuel. After that I put it in a heated garage and let it thaw out and put fuel line antifreeze in it and since then it worked fine. I was just on holidays and it was - 35 degress celcius so I thought I would go and try to start it just to see if it would and it wouldn't again and the pump was not pumping up. I had since put one of those engine antifreeze warmers on the sled and it turns over nice after being plugged in. This last time it wouldn't start I tried an experiment and took the seat off and put a hair dryer on the fuel pump to see if that would help and after 5 minutes you could hear the pump pumping up when you turned the key on. The question is after - 25 below do I have to carry around a hair dryer and a really really long extension cord? Is there another fix? Is my pump ready to go and I should replace it? Does anyone else have a problem like this and fixed it? Once the sled gets going its the best sled in the world but the trick is to get it going after - 20. Thanx for your help
Elliottt is online now Add to Elliottt's Reputation Edit/Delete Message

More than likely, it's the fuel pump relay, though I'm not sure where they are on the Phazer. I also moved this to the Phazer forum to get some more eyes on it.

Yep most likely fuel pump relay. I carry a spare in my pocket on the really cold days so if it freezes i just switch them out.

I also agree on the fuel pump relay - top row of relays second from the back on the right hand side in behind the battery. I was also having this same problem when it was really cold. I have ordered an updated relay through the dealer, but also bought a second regular one and swap them out if it happens.

It happens to me last week. I was on a trip at a cottage so did not have a relay or a hairdryer to warm it up so I stuck by hand back there a a few mins while turning the key until I herd it pump.

Thanx for the help and....

Thanx guys for all the help. I just called my yamaha dealer here in Saskatoon to order a new gas relay and they said that yamaha knows about the moisture problem in the relay and that they freeze up. He said I can buy a new one for $14.00 in about a week when they come in so you guys nailed this one on the head. Thanx again ;)!

Had this happen to me last week.
I was about 4 hours from home, and the first time on my phazer.
I called my dealer, and he recommended that i simply pull the relay and hold it in my closed hand for about 30 seconds.
It did get me going , and yes a pain but i was still riding. I also took a handwarmer packet, and taped it over the top of the relay, and it kept it from freezing for about 12hours.

again i know a bit of a pain, but it bought me time to get the new one.

Where is the fuel pump relay anyway......

I had the sled in the garage last night so I went out just to see where the relay is. I knew it was by the battery as one of you had told me that already. I took that cover off on that side of the machine and the only thing I could see is a plastic ( one inch square ) box being held in by a rubbery elastic. It was directly under my battery.It had two male connectors on it. When I pulled that out and turned on my sled nothing engaged at all. There was no pump sound or even any start up sequence on the main control panel. Is that the relay that I am suppose to unplug if it freezes up again and warm it up? Everything else around there just looked like fuses and a big metal thing that I think is called the motor.....lol. Please let me know and thanx again :-o

Yep thats the one.
LEE337 had a good idea.
Since you are going to replace it. keep the old one on you for a just in case. you know it works when warm

Pump relay is behind the ECU.To the right of the footwell.Lower plastic removal makes it easy to see.

Okay so you guys are one for one...now how about....

K so you guys are alot of help so now heres another one for ya........I have some moisture in my lcd readout on my 2007 phazer. When it was cold I couldn't even see the numbers. It was just a big frost ball inside. Has anyone experienced this one before and if so any ideas on how to get rid of the moisture? Alsoooo......has anyone else had to replace those $11.00 special screws on the side panel because they fell off and went missing? $11.00 each ? How could it be $11.00 but I have already had to buy 3 as I was missing 2 when I got the sled. Is there a better way to secure them so they don't fall out besides that cheap plastic washer? K boys keep the good advice coming ...and thanx again ;)!

Re: Okay so you guys are one for one...now how about....

Check the sticky's, for the fasteners, pretty sure Cannondale found a low cost replacement some time last year. I would guess that the info is here somewhere.

Yeah that's them and like half the price!! Have you ever lost any screws and have you ordered from these guys before? K here's another question... I just got this Phazer last summer and I have never had to take the belt off yet. Is this easy to do on a Phazer? In 1,000 words or less can someone describe how this is done.....lol. I had a Skidoo before this and there was a special tool that you needed to open the clutch so that the belt loosesned, yada yada yada but how does it work on a Phazer? Thanx again for all the help and advice :-o

Back