• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 rx1 bottoming out

Matthew

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 rx1
Back skid bottoms out a lot! I have the spring set at max and dosent seem to matter seen people talk about fat guy spring where would I buy such a thing and is there anything else I can do to stiffen it up im 220+ pounds

front shock back jamb nut all the way off run hand tight then put 1 full turn in it and lock in center shock full rate set on meduim thatsthe center hole pre load on 6 leaves one notch left and control rod set to1/4 inch on the top with u on the sled start there i weigh a bit more but the pro action perfomed good set up like that before i swaped it out

Hi my sled did the same thing,and i put a sc3 skid in the rx1.It is the best thing i ever did with the sled and the apex seat.There is lots of info for the skid swap ect.

P.S The sc3 is awesome ride and i am 320lbs with out gear.

Larry

Agree with larry apex seat and new skid turns the rx1 into diffrent monster

Back skid bottoms out a lot! I have the spring set at max and dosent seem to matter seen people talk about fat guy spring where would I buy such a thing and is there anything else I can do to stiffen it up im 220+ pounds
I hope it makes sense, when you put any money into a pro-action skid, you'll soon find its cheaper and much better to grab a mono skid from like a 08/09 easy install, and I just did my 03 and feels like a 4stroke should,,WHAT A HUGE DIFF

Wasent wanting to put a bunch of money into it wanting it only to stop bottoming out it knocked the wind outa me a few times now :/

Wasent wanting to put a bunch of money into it wanting it only to stop bottoming out it knocked the wind outa me a few times now :/
Man I know what you mean, but you start replaceing spring & non-rebuildable shock and you are close to a nice mono skid with re-buildable shock on it,,and makes the sled a 150/200 mile a day sled if wanted, Iam. 250# w/gear and have my shock and spring set in middle settings and never bottom out, but my original skid did what yours does, almost flew off a couple times, Just trying to help, cause even if you put money in that pro-action skid it will never be half of a mono skid, lot of them 121" for sale when guys extend to long tracks. I got a nice one from a. 08 vector w/1000 miles on it like new for $350. Complete w/remote shock adjuster

I'd want somthing that was a direct bolt on how do I know what will fit ? Thanks for the help

I'd want somthing that was a direct bolt on how do I know what will fit ? Thanks for the help
Matt you have to drill 2 new from mount holes, rear mounts same place, I bought mounting plates, they line up with your old middle hole and plate has new hole in it, I just did mine 2 weeks ago, was super easy and I am no mech, will need rivets and rivet gun that's all, feel free to call me Larry 9893241835

I have been doing a lot of research due to having the same issue. I'm only about 200 but ride aggressively and also ride double frequently and keep getting shocked by the skid bottoming out. I do not know what type of skid is on mine, '05 RX Warrior, but for $350 I would def. be interested in the upgrade, seeing as how the new shock on pioneer is $500. I am very interested in this conversion if it is easy as you say. Does this require track removal and where is a good place to look for a mono skid? I am taking it that the mono means there is just one rear shock? Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to sledding in general, let alone yamaha's specifically.

I have been doing a lot of research due to having the same issue. I'm only about 200 but ride aggressively and also ride double frequently and keep getting shocked by the skid bottoming out. I do not know what type of skid is on mine, '05 RX Warrior, but for $350 I would def. be interested in the upgrade, seeing as how the new shock on pioneer is $500. I am very interested in this conversion if it is easy as you say. Does this require track removal and where is a good place to look for a mono skid? I am taking it that the mono means there is just one rear shock? Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to sledding in general, let alone yamaha's specifically.
If you have a 05 I believe you already have a mono skid, this conversion is for a 03/04 RX1 with the poor pro-action skid, and you don't remove track-just unbolt and swap skids with relocated frt skid holes.
If you have 1 shock & 1 transfer rod then you have mono skid, Larry

front shock back jamb nut all the way off run hand tight then put 1 full turn in it and lock in center shock full rate set on meduim thatsthe center hole pre load on 6 leaves one notch left and control rod set to1/4 inch on the top with u on the sled start there i weigh a bit more but the pro action perfomed good set up like that before i swaped it out
Mine was set at "factory neutral ", I followed these settings, rides much better now.

No its a pro action then because it has two shocks. So where do you recommend looking for a used mono skid and what models will work? Thanks

If you have a 05 I believe you already have a mono skid, this conversion is for a 03/04 RX1 with the poor pro-action skid, and you don't remove track-just unbolt and swap skids with relocated frt skid holes.
If you have 1 shock & 1 transfer rod then you have mono skid, Larry

No its a pro action then because it has two shocks. So where do you recommend looking for a used mono skid and what models will work? Thanks

Yep Warrior has a pro (no ) action skid 136 inch! I suffered with mine on my RX Warrior for a couple years and 8,000 miles. I put the heavy from skid and rear skid springs in. I tried a million settings but it still bottomed out so hard it almost broke my back, I was sick to my stomach and near passing out from the pain. Hit a G out at about 60mph and that is where I could never get the skid to work right. It would hammer the bumps and even jump (small jumps) and land quite well but have one dip in the trail and bam it would try to drive your spine out the top of your skull! I even went and got the rear spring from a VK Professional as it fits right on the shock no problem and its way stronger then the Fat boy spring. It was a bit better on the bottoming out but G outs where still killer.

I never saw a skid that would ride so stiff but still bottom out so hard! I finally gave up and installed a ZX2 now that rode sweet and with the Apex seat and a 2 inch rox riser it was a whole new sled that rode like it was on air.

Back