• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX1 issues

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
The other day I had my 03 rx1 speed maxed out on the hard pack with a 106mph and 9900 rpm. If I remember right from other threads, the max rpm should be in the 10,300-10,500 rpm. Is this correct and if so would this be keeping it from reaching the true speed and power. What can be done to get it in the proper max rpm range, clutching??

About a week ago. I found the problem, minor mistake on my part. OOPS!! Went out today to try again and on the hard pack the max rpm was 10,200. I pulled off the hard pack and into to 6" of powder and the rpm went down to 9,800 - 9,900. I must have been in the powder yesterday when I noticed the rpm.

for max speed your rpm needs to be 10600-10800. many will say max power is at 10200 but the higher rpm pulls more speed. my best is 116mph on radar, my buddy did 119.

Back when I had my 03, I could hit 138 on the speedo across Houghton lake. I have no idea what the actual speed was.

Take a look at you speedo's gear on the Drive shaft. Some folks have ground out a tooth or two to make the speedo more accurate.

Also, if you are dropping off Max RPM in the powder, then you still have a problem (i.e. 9800 is not 10,200 - 10,400.)

When was the last time the secondary spring was changed? How about the primary's Spring, sliders, rollers, pins, weights etc. It takes a bit more than cleaning to keep the clutching working.

Besides snow conditions, ski pressure, rear suspension angle, track lube, taller windshields, new carbides, doolies and studs all slow you down. And there is also your body weight. There are lots of variables to consider when looking at top speeds.

Len
This is the second year that I have had the sled and from what the previous owner said the clutches were rebuilt by a freind of his just before I bought it, but I don't think the springs were replaced. Not sure what was replaced or how good the rebuild was. From what I have found about the stock clutches on the 03 rx1, it looks like mine are stock. When I get some spare $$$ I want to clutch it for better low and mid range power. But that might not happen till next year. I could probably use a new belt also. This is the 3rd year with this one, probably close to 1500 - 2000 miles of hard riding on it. It will all come but the bad part of it is that it all costs $$$ and with christmas just over it ($$) is a bit scarce right now. But at least I will know what I need when the time comes.
So the max rpm should stay maxed out no matter if it's on hard pack or powder or anywhere for that matter?

Back