• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RX1 starting problems again

timebomb

TY 4 Stroke Guru
i had alot of carb problems with my 05 rx1 last year, pulled the carbs numerous times and cleaned them and it finally ran. then it wouldn't run in the spring when i wanted to put it away. it kept flooding on 2 cylinders, i never had time to look into it so i drained the bowls on it and left them dry for the summer. my brother in law and i just pulled the carbs off tonight and found 2 float needles stuck, he cleaned the carbs again and we put them back on. now it won't start at all, the carbs are not getting fuel, we pulled the supply line off the bottom fuel pump and it had fuel going to it and the top did not and nothing coming out. the fuel tank is full of fresh fuel and we're stumped. since the carbs sat bone dry all summer could the pumps loose their prime? don't know if that is possible. any thoughts?

If and when my sled sits it takes quite a while for it draw fuel to the carbs. This happens in many sleds if owned. Sometimes I'll spray gas into the carbs while cranking or blow air into the tank but not many psi just enough to pressurize the lines. Hope it helps.

remove the 2 fuel lines below the pumps and fill the carbs with gas using a small funnel. reconnect lines and start it up.if any carb floods tap the bowl with a wrenchor screwdriver handle, the vibrations will usually free it.

On the clutch side there is a clear gas tank vent line fish it out and blow into it as hard as you can and cover with your thumb to trap the pressure in it. Now crank your engine over and it will start. Go to Lowes and pick up some mechanic in a bottle and add it to your gas and top off the tank with fresh fuel.

don,t use starting fluid , just get a squirt can and fill it with gas spray into carbs while starting , once it starts turn it off put your air box on properly and you are ready to go.

got it running while spraying gas in the carbs but didn't really run long. put the airbox on and now all it does is sputter. keeps flooding out, i pulled the plugs, put new ones and just keeps flooding out. its doing the same thing as last year. plus now it is leaking antifreeze somewhere but i think i know where that is coming from.

:carbs: and check your floats at the same time clean clean clean. Install inline filters and use MIAB if you can find it?

sure they will work, mine are in front of the fuel pumps. Make sure they are high flow. I use automotive racing filters, chrome and glass, just cut and clamp. I know it is a pain, but these carbs are very sensitive to any small particles of crud. CLean. CLean. Clean

did u just get those at an autoparts store? yeah they are sensitive alright! i have been fighting with the carbs on this sled for 2 years now, kind of works out because i have barely any time to ride anyway. just would be nice to get it running good again so shes ready go when i can ride it. getting really close to just taking it to a dealer

AND i also have a 91 phazer II i bought a few months ago that used to be my mothers back in the 90s that hasn't run in a couple of years. i haven't even looked at that one

yes, the filters came from Advance Auto.

I would try to find some Mechanic In A Bottle, lowes, dollar general, tsc, rural king.

I would go the 2smoke side for questions on the Phazer. Its cool that it was your mothers sled.

Maybe before you add extra filters it would be a good idea to check the existing tank filters and also verify your tank isn't full of debris?? Personally, I would rather not have additional restrictions added to something Yamaha designed and which works for 99% of owners.
These filters are about 2" diameter and are easily changed. There are 2. They can be retrieved by removing the fittings on the front of the tank(2 phillips screws). You will need a strong small dia. piece of string and about 8" of stiff wire (about half the dia of a coat hanger is best) With the string dropped through the gas cap opening, use a piece of wire through the fitting opening side to pull the string into the fitting hole. Tie it securely around the hose on the fitting and pull the fitting away from the hose. Now pull the string at the filler opening to retrieve the filter. Put the new filter on the hose and hold the string to drop it into the tank. Use the stiff wire through the fitting opening to hook the string and carefully pull it to get the hose back so it can be reattached. Keep track of the O-rings on the fittings.
Alternately, you can just fish each fuel line with the wire through the tank fill opening and tie the string there before removing the hose from the fitting, then fish the string through the fitting hole to get the hose back to reattach to the fitting. The main reason to do it the first way is you know the string and the hose bot come through the fitting hole.
I would also:
1) Spend whatever time it takes to be sure the carbs are 'hospital clean'.
2) When they are apart, take a section of fuel hose and blow gently (via mouth) on each carb's input to be sure the float needles are sealing/unsealing when the float is moved. Also recheck the float levels.
3) Plan to flush your lines before reattaching them to the carbs. Pressurize the vent line (near the secondary clutch) and let a few ounces of fuel come out before connecting the lines back on the carbs. It is possible that your filters let junk pass into the pump.
Since I also own an oldstyle Phazer, you won't have nearly as many issues with those carbs as they seem way less finicky. Remove them and check the bowls for debris. Clean as needed.

Back