• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Nytro stretched to 144. Need clutching and gearing advice

Bradford

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
06 RS Nytro
I stretched my 06 Nytro to 144" with a tipped up rail. This thing is a blast to drive! However, I need some advice on clutching and gearing from some of you guru's. When running on hard pack, I over-rev to about 9200 rpm at about 90mph and when I'm playing in powder, I can't get the revs over about 7800 rpm. I know my limiting factor is the horsepower of this 3 holer carbed engine but there must be a setup that works better than what I have now

Re: 06 Nytro stretched to 144. Need clutching and gearing ad

Bradford said:
I stretched my 06 Nytro to 144" with a tipped up rail. This thing is a blast to drive! However, I need some advice on clutching and gearing from some of you guru's. When running on hard pack, I over-rev to about 9200 rpm at about 90mph and when I'm playing in powder, I can't get the revs over about 7800 rpm. I know my limiting factor is the horsepower of this 3 holer carbed engine but there must be a setup that works better than what I have now

Well you could add some rivet weight to get your rpm down but then it's going to lower yet more in the powder.Part of losing the rpm in powder is because your geared so high and geared for moderate snow with not as much load on the motr as powder.Gear down some then add some rivet weight.

Re: 06 Nytro stretched to 144. Need clutching and gearing ad

pro116 said:
Well you could add some rivet weight to get your rpm down but then it's going to lower yet more in the powder.Part of losing the rpm in powder is because your geared so high and geared for moderate snow with not as much load on the motr as powder.Gear down some then add some rivet weight.

I'm not quite sure that it would need to be geared down. The '06 Nytro is already geared down from the standard Vector as it was marketed as a ditch-banging bump sled.

Think I found my problem... the clutch weights had a groove wore across them just before the tip weight. No doubt this would throw off the shifting pattern!

Did you happen to take a picture to see where it was wearing? Might be something good to look for in other sleds.

sledneck22 said:
Did you happen to take a picture to see where it was wearing? Might be something good to look for in other sleds.

Here it is. No wonder it favored 3rd gear

Attachments

• Weight-Wear.JPG
    Weight-Wear.JPG
    573.6 KB · Views: 185
Yeah I can see it settling in the groove and not wanting to completly close the primary. Good catch and something for everyone to look for if they are having problems!

multi sled said:
bradford how many miles do you have on the sled?

Just under 10K miles when I found the worn weights. The new weights are working good on-trail but there's not enough powder to try it off-trail yet

Back