• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 vs 09 Apex deceleration

ov10mech

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 and 2009 Apex RTX
I have two RTX Apex sleds.. a 2006 and 2009. I normally ride the 2006 and the wife rides the newer one. When I rode the 09 this weekend I noticed a considerable difference when I let off the throttle. The 09 had a very slow deceleration with almost no braking effect. The 07 has a pretty significant engine braking feel when you let off. I was wondering what the normal is supposed to be or did they change something between 06 and 09?

Personally I like the way the 06 responds. I rarely have to touch my brakes. The only major difference between the two is that the 06 has picks and the 09 does not (if that would cause a difference) The 09 had a brand new set of Hyfaxes as well.

I found changing the clutch weights made a big difference, weight profile reduces the effect.

06 rtx has the mono skid. 09 rtx has the ck skid. This may have something to do with it. Ski pressure also and everything mentioned above.

The 09 doesn't have the reduced engine braking tech, I would look at tracks, hyfax and wheels if clutching is stock. Fully clipped track(less friction) versus every third window, worn wheel bearings and worn out hyfax both add friction, as you have said the 09 has new hyfax. Engine braking may be taking the rap for worn out parts. the Mono is actually the more efficient skid of the two, so I'd say there is friction somewhere. Just my 2c

Thanks for all the responses. Since I bought both used I have no idea what the previous owners did with clutching, etc. nor do I have any reference for what it should feel like. I will probably drop at dealer so they can assess.

Back