• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Attack

adeboisbriand

Extreme
I was wondering about the secondary clutching. Where do you place the spring in the clutch and the other end in the helix? I want to make sure i have the numbers lined up. thanks

adeboisbriand said:
I was wondering about the secondary clutching. Where do you place the spring in the clutch and the other end in the helix? I want to make sure i have the numbers lined up. thanks

Depends how quickly you want upshift I believe -- or the delay of backshift?. Turk would know way better.

But I do know a good happy medium is 3-3, or 60 degree of wind. 2-5, or 70 degrees of wind is also popular.

adeboisbriand said:
have heavy hitters in the primary and will be putting thunder product 911 cover on

But we're talking about your secondary spring.Your primary set up is more irrelevant I believe. The key question is how do you ride. If you drag race short distances, you don't care about back shift. I think you want a higher wind. Off trail guys and trail cruisers go for a lower wind.

Even with heel clickers on my primary (not too aggressive of a set up), I use a stock white spring on the secondary with a 3-3 wind. Mostly trail cruising at moderate to high speeds, depending on how I'm feeling.

helix has numbered holes, 0,3,6,9. the sheave has 3 holes numbered 1,2,3. the 2 holes you choose are added together to give a degree of twist. eg. 6 and 1 would be 7 or 70 degrees twist. the higher the number, the harder the upshift and quicker the backshift. the spring choice determines torsional force and compression rate.

Do not make such a drastic change with the secondary.
Less wrap = quicker upshift but slower backshift & vice versa. Do not change anything unless you have clutch tuning knowledge & know what the outcome will be.
You can really make a mess.

Ok Turk, my bad. So drag racers want less wind (quick upshift/ slow backshift) and Off trail riders would want more wind (slower upshift and quick backshift). In theory is this right Turk?

just curious if i have a 3 on the clutch and 6 on the helixs i would gain on top end and loose on the low? Im just trying to figure this out

adeboisbriand said:
just curious if i have a 3 on the clutch and 6 on the helixs i would gain on top end and loose on the low? Im just trying to figure this out

I believe that is what Turk is saying. But mostly delayed upshift and quicker backshift.

adeboisbriand said:
thats over the 3 & 3 setup
with the white secondary spring i would not go more than 3-3, 6-3 is way to much for that spring, with a 6-3 setting with that spring you will over rev, and not fully shift out, cause the secondary clutch will be trying to back shift all the time, fighting against the primary thats trying to upshift, and the white spring will coil bind at that setting.

Back