• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'07 Attak with 7,500 miles, is my drive axle gonna break?

Doug

Pro
Been awhile since I've been on here, but seems to me I read of several cases of the drive axles breaking. My 7,500 miles have been hard.

I just had the rear suspension out before last season for a complete overhaul including new W-arm and transfer rod, bushings, and shock rebuilt, so I'd rather not tear it apart this year.

At what mileage are these drive axles breaking, and where are they breaking? Can they be inspected for cracks before they fail?

Seems I also read about heavy-duty drive axles. More info on those?

Thanks.

CHANGE IT!! I was stranded 100+ miles from my truck last February when mine broke. No warning. I thought I broke a belt LOL. 7568 mi. on the odometer. The pisser is I had a brand new 1 sitting on the shelf at home.... 550 mi. away. Had to rent a DOO for 2 days so my son and I could finish our trip :o| :o| :o| :o|

What's the concensus for changing the drive axles on the Apex, 7,500 to 10,000 miles or somewhere thereabouts? Just as preventive maintenance if nothing else?

Mine sheared right at the chaincase, just like all the others I've seen here. I suppose you could look at it with a droplight and MAYBE see if it's already cracked, To me, it's just preventive maintainence to do it now while it's not sled season.

I'm replacing my track before next season and I'm installing new extro drivers on a new drive axle then. Maybe get a heavy duty one from Allen Ulmer with Avids already pressed on when the time comes. But I guess I'll be pushing my luck a tad because I'll be at maybe 8,000 miles on the odometer by then, lol!!!

Been there and done that! The harder you ride the quicker it goes........anything over 8,000 HARD miles is a gift!! :o| Been out with buddies 3 times over the years when they broke and what a pia to get them back.......especially in Northern Ontario :drink: :drink: :drink:

Front Bearing

What about the drive shaft bearing? I purchased a new one but have not installed it at 3,000 miles. I have purchased the Yamaha external drive teeth sprockets already.
I thought the new Yamaha's had a stronger rear axle, but maybe that is the drive shaft axle in the front?

is it just the Apex's that are having this problem or are the RX1's having the problem aswell?

I thought maybe they were made out of different material that's why the Apex would break, I never really heard of this problem with the RX1's however I didn't really look into it

I blew the h ell out of mine on the RTX at just under 10000 last winter... this was the weekend after i took out front rad on the 40th.... I was ready to burn both that night... hehe..

Back