• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 Apex chaincase axle bolt snapped.

It's there in case the bolt was ever to break. It contains it so it can't grind a hole through the chaincase. Probably not necessary since I haven't personally seen the latest shafts break.
it helps it not wear though the cover. my 11 backed out and it let wear happen on the cover but did not wear though because of the snap ring.

They rarely had in season changes, it was more the next model year. But I hear what you're saying.
Funny thing is, they've neglected some chaincase issues with these Winders for 5 years now....ggrrrr
That’s EXACTLY what I was driving at.

In my '10, the bolt backed out, went past that clip and proceeded to grind a hole through my case anyway. Use Loctite instead and save the $5-6 they charge for that clip. I used the new orange Loctite.

I don't recall any of these not having loctite on from the factory. In fact, I snapped a bolt off with the impact while removing on a 1997 SX, that's how good the loctite works.
However, I have often seen these bolts go back in without loctite(like during a track change for example).
Maybe I'm wrong and there was a few years where Yamaha didn't loctite them, but I don't think that's the case.

I don't remember seeing any on mine when I did the track change or after it backed out, which is why I didn't put any myself.

The new orange Loctite is as close to the red you can get without needing heat to remove.

i did lock tight mine but did not make sure that the threads in the shaft where clear of oil. now i make sure i brake clean it well every time i have that bolt out and apply new lock tight.

I have seen them left out, but the problem with that is the left side bearing then becomes the one that keeps the shaft centered(which isn't its job).
The proper fix is the newer parts but that gets expensive.
Just put a new Yamaha bolt in it, then check yearly(like owning a sidewinder)
Like owning a Sidewinder!
Ain't that the TRUTH right there,!

Back