• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 Apex chaincase axle bolt snapped.

Ok somehow I missed that. You are right. Thank you. Now to see if it is really enough to justify the cost.

Axle. collar. Speedo bearing. Chaincase bearing. Front chaincase cover
Maybe someone @hibshman25 would have a used axle from a 10-16 with drivers already on.

. Does my list sound right to you?
The bearings still fit, the diameter is only larger for the hex portion where the drivers slide onto. But I would still use new bearings.
Surely there are plenty of used shafts around I would think. You don't need any different chaincase covers/housings, unless yours has a hole in it. You do need the 11 and up collar.

The bearings still fit, the diameter is only larger for the hex portion where the drivers slide onto. But I would still use new bearings.
Surely there are plenty of used shafts around I would think. You don't need any different chaincase covers/housings, unless yours has a hole in it. You do need the 11 and up collar.
Well that is some better news. So axle and collar that goes on the end of shaft from 11 to 18 Apex.

Well that is some better news. So axle and collar that goes on the end of shaft from 11 to 18 Apex.
Right. And a used shaft with drivers from 16 and up may not work because some of them had different pitch.

Right. And a used shaft with drivers from 16 and up may not work because some of them had different pitch.
Great to hear. Thank you so much for the help. I wonder how much bigger the shaft really is..lol probably like 3mm..lol. wonder why they made it longer
Going to look at pics and see the difference.

Great to hear. Thank you so much for the help. I wonder how much bigger the shaft really is..lol probably like 3mm..lol. wonder why they made it longer
Going to look at pics and see the difference.
Yes, only a few mm. The reason the bolts were breaking was because the shaft wasn't sliding into the collar far enough. The shaft would flex just enough to break the bolt over time. With the longer shaft and deeper collar this shouldn't happen.
They probably didn't need to make the shaft any bigger, but wanted to be sure this wouldn't happen anymore, lol.
Probably if they had just made the 08 and older shafts larger, they wouldn't have needed the cover support and all the extra costs that come along with it.

So need a 10 to 15 shaft and part 78.
Screenshot_20211129-103117.png

Yes, only a few mm. The reason the bolts were breaking was because the shaft wasn't sliding into the collar far enough. The shaft would flex just enough to break the bolt over time. With the longer shaft and deeper collar this shouldn't happen.
They probably didn't need to make the shaft any bigger, but wanted to be sure this wouldn't happen anymore, lol.
Probably if they had just made the 08 and older shafts larger, they wouldn't have needed the cover support and all the extra costs that come along with it.
Back when Yammy engineered their own sleds, they tended to over-engineer running assembly changes to existing problems. They’ve always been a strange company that way, totally ignoring obvious issues, or going overboard engineering a fix, nothing in between.

It's there in case the bolt was ever to break. It contains it so it can't grind a hole through the chaincase. Probably not necessary since I haven't personally seen the latest shafts break.

Back when Yammy engineered their own sleds, they tended to over-engineer running assembly changes to existing problems. They’ve always been a strange company that way, totally ignoring obvious issues, or going overboard engineering a fix, nothing in between.
They rarely had in season changes, it was more the next model year. But I hear what you're saying.
Funny thing is, they've neglected some chaincase issues with these Winders for 5 years now....ggrrrr

Back