• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 Apex engine cutting out.

brinkkl2000

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2004 Yamaha RX Warrior
1998 Yamaha SRX
So, I haven't done too much diagnosis yet but thought maybe someone could give me direction. Was out on the trail today and I heard some rumblings by the clutch area, almost as soon as I heard it the sled shut down. No lights or warnings came on prior. Fired it back up and it idled perfectly, as soon as it got to engagement rpm the engine started running choppy, kind of like tors kicking in. Pulled off the belt and the engine ran perfectly, put belt back on and ran choppy again. One time I started gassing it and got a "er-1" code, but that went away. Nursed it on to the trailer and got it back to my shop. Put the track stand under it and it ran great. Basically putting and kind of load/resistance on it and the engine runs like crap. No lights, no codes, nothing. There does seem to be excessive play in the chaincase though, could that do it?

That's kind of what I am hoping it is, just found it strange that it would cause the engine to act up.

when the speedo bearing failed on the 11 apex, it was back firing and farting and running a bit weird too.

Great, going that is all it is. Does the suspension have to be dropped to change it, or can it be done from the side of the sled. Never been in to this one before.

You can change it without dropping the rear suspension, it come out towards the clutch side, but the track needs to be as loose as you can get it so there is the least amount of tension on the driveshaft. I think it has two set screws in the collar that locks it to the driveshaft, so you have to loosen those from up under the side of the tunnel. I think they are torx? Or maybe hex... Sorry it's been a while.

screws are torx. just did 2 of them for this season on a venture and apex.

x2 on backing the track all the way off. make sure you loosen the rear axle nut so the track will loosen.

The screws are torx if it’s an OE bearing. If it’s been changed along the way with an NTN replacement they will be really tiny (2.5mm I think) Allen screws.

Back