• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1,000ft

Any and all testing helps to dial in your sleds setup, especially when data logging, but conditions always come into play. You do the best with what your dealt :)
Yeah, well....trying to get ahead of the game.
Looking mostly at belt temps, RPMs & ETs on dragy.
Don't have the ability to data log. That's on the back burner, for now. Probably in the off season.

As sideshow said any and all is good. Last year i dialed my nytro in on draggy, made 25 runs in the morning/afternoon in a field with snow with no tracks, kept moving to the side to keep each run equal. Started off running 7.64/7.67@88/89mph to finishing up running a best of 7.49 at 91.44 and consistently running 7.52/7.53 at 90/91mph all 660ft. Next day tried a run went 7.85 at 84mph lol, conditions make a huge difference, but sled is dialed in for 90% of conditions i would be running in.

As sideshow said any and all is good. Last year i dialed my nytro in on draggy, made 25 runs in the morning/afternoon in a field with snow with no tracks, kept moving to the side to keep each run equal. Started off running 7.64/7.67@88/89mph to finishing up running a best of 7.49 at 91.44 and consistently running 7.52/7.53 at 90/91mph all 660ft. Next day tried a run went 7.85 at 84mph lol, conditions make a huge difference, but sled is dialed in for 90% of conditions i would be running in.
Awesome, ty Rev them up!!

I would make 2 runs(3 if it was a bad launch/rev limiter etc) making sure they are valid and consistent, then i would make 1 change, you can chase your tail real quick making two many adjustments at once( changing a helix and a spring at the same time, ex which made you quicker/slower) . I tried different primary spring's/secondary spring's/ 2 helix's. the biggest change i found was in my secondary spring, going from 6/2 for trails down to 3/3 for tuning, the more i loosened off the spring the quicker it went combined with a steeper helix. After 25 runs 3 primary/2 secondary/2 helix's 48/42 and a 49/44, the set up i originally had but with a different secondary spring woke her up. Also gained 1.5mph up top, 106.5gps on a 2011 nytro xtx with a 1.75 backcountry on a groomed trail, not ice or hard road. If we ever get snow i plan on testing the winder.

I would make 2 runs(3 if it was a bad launch/rev limiter etc) making sure they are valid and consistent, then i would make 1 change, you can chase your tail real quick making two many adjustments at once( changing a helix and a spring at the same time, ex which made you quicker/slower) . I tried different primary spring's/secondary spring's/ 2 helix's. the biggest change i found was in my secondary spring, going from 6/2 for trails down to 3/3 for tuning, the more i loosened off the spring the quicker it went combined with a steeper helix. After 25 runs 3 primary/2 secondary/2 helix's 48/42 and a 49/44, the set up i originally had but with a different secondary spring woke her up. Also gained 1.5mph up top, 106.5gps on a 2011 nytro xtx with a 1.75 backcountry on a groomed trail, not ice or hard road. If we ever get snow i plan on testing the winder.
What distance did you test with? I'm only allowed maybe 700ft + shut down.
So I'm kinda screwed to find out rpm up top. Which is critical measuring clutch components as to whether revving a little high and it's pulling itself down or revving lower and climbing up.
In other words I was trying to get it to do about 8700rpm and then climb to 8900/9000. You know what I'm saying?!?!
Should I just wait?

Last edited:
Yeah, well....trying to get ahead of the game.
Looking mostly at belt temps, RPMs & ETs on dragy.
Don't have the ability to data log. That's on the back burner, for now. Probably in the off season.
IMO, like Bob and others day, no matter how much you're dialed in on test day, it may not be right another test day. That's why pro's show up early, test, test, test. They have bushel baskets full of gears, helixes, weights, belts, etc.
No matter what we do, if we're the fastest today (or think we are) where we are, there's someone else faster somewhere. Best we can do is come up with what we hope is best the next time we get tested. It never ends.

IMO, like Bob and others day, no matter how much you're dialed in on test day, it may not be right another test day. That's why pro's show up early, test, test, test. They have bushel baskets full of gears, helixes, weights, belts, etc.
No matter what we do, if we're the fastest today (or think we are) where we are, there's someone else faster somewhere. Best we can do is come up with what we hope is best the next time we get tested. It never ends.
Turboflash, what you just described is the fastest guy. Unfortunately, that's not going to be me. Just looking for overall compromise. Seriously...I'd like to be the guy that can ride out, assess traction, and adjust suspension accordingly. I know....and it's ok.
For what I have, I'll do very well.
To be completely honest and I have to laugh. I see all these guys on Facebook preparing their sled with the "GIVE ME ALL YOU GOT" kit from TD. All header, big tune, race gas, etc. maybe if I get lucky, I'll pick one or two of them off.
I drag race my Street glide (on the street.) And I come across everything from 107in to 130in bikes.Generally speaking I've beaten 130" bikes out of the hole and up until 3rd.
I can't imagine the look on their face...priceless.
It's so funny, I have apes on it and a tour pak. Haha. Bet they didn't see that coming.

Last edited:
What distance did you test with? I'm only allowed maybe 700ft + shut down.
So I'm kinda screwed to find out rpm up top. Which is critical measuring clutch components as to whether revving a little high and it's pulling itself down or revving lower and climbing up.
In other words I was trying to get it to do about 8700rpm and then climb to 8900/9000. You know what I'm saying?!?!
Should I just wait?
I was in a large field so i had lots of shutdown room, but the Nytro was only doing 90/91mph. I only made 1 draggy run with the winder on the 290 tune(before changes that i have not tested yet, now running 3inch td stock mod, larger fuel pump, flashed to 290 lean), speed was 105, assuming you will be in that range also give or take a few mph, gonna need shutdown room or be hard on the brakes..lol. If nothing else you can test your 0/60 and 330ft times to give you an idea on suspension setup can also get a rough idea on rpm early on, but saying that if you are tuning for 660ft gonna be hard to see the big picture if you dont have the room.

I was in a large field so i had lots of shutdown room, but the Nytro was only doing 90/91mph. I only made 1 draggy run with the winder on the 290 tune(before changes that i have not tested yet, now running 3inch td stock mod, larger fuel pump, flashed to 290 lean), speed was 105, assuming you will be in that range also give or take a few mph, gonna need shutdown room or be hard on the brakes..lol. If nothing else you can test your 0/60 and 330ft times to give you an idea on suspension setup can also get a rough idea on rpm early on, but saying that if you are tuning for 660ft gonna be hard to see the big picture if you dont have the room.
I was going to a place I trust, I'll see if I can find something else. I understand both of your posts, ty, RTU

When I was regularly involved in snow drags in our area and winning I had to be a moving target all the time because the people I was racing against always came back quicker. LOL...it was a lot of fun but also kept me very busy on my days off as for a time period I was bringing four sleds to the races for the different classes.

When I was regularly involved in snow drags in our area and winning I had to be a moving target all the time because the people I was racing against always came back quicker. LOL...it was a lot of fun but also kept me very busy on my days off as for a time period I was bringing four sleds to the races for the different classes.
Its tough being the king. Hahaha.... Too much work.

Its tough being the king. Hahaha.... Too much work.
I wish....for a while a little bigger fish in a small pond.
Back in my two stroke days I did all my sled tuning and building myself but all the excellent performance shops that started providing the clutch tuning kits and parts, engine porting and building, and chassis setup, and light weight components that anyone could buy slowly eroded the advantages I had in the past. For example I was building my own adjustable weights by modifying Polaris Racing weights before they ever became available from Bender, Hauck, Thunder Products ect.
Now since moving to four strokes I also purchase items I need from vendors especially with the unbelievable tunes and components available for our Sidewinders.
My X-TX with Hurricane tunes and various vendors clutch components ect was very successful in snow drags in its class until they went away from my area a few years ago.

I wish....for a while a little bigger fish in a small pond.
Back in my two stroke days I did all my sled tuning and building myself but all the excellent performance shops that started providing the clutch tuning kits and parts, engine porting and building, and chassis setup, and light weight components that anyone could buy slowly eroded the advantages I had in the past. For example I was building my own adjustable weights by modifying Polaris Racing weights before they ever became available from Bender, Hauck, Thunder Products ect.
Now since moving to four strokes I also purchase items I need from vendors especially with the unbelievable tunes and components available for our Sidewinders.
My X-TX with Hurricane tunes and various vendors clutch components ect was very successful in snow drags in its class until they went away from my area a few years ago.
Hmmm....yes. Trying to keep up in a world that gives us nearly infinite combinations.
Since everything I see is going the route of additives & race fuel, perhaps a simple combo that is pump gas friendly might be worth looking at. As stated, "more with less" thought process.
Negotiating terms of the race, can be a reward in itself. Haha.
I mean " look at all those goodies" hahaha.
As you can tell bob, I'm not really one for sanction racing. my style is a little different. So much racing to choose from on any given day in Wisconsin. Hit the right bar & grille, or possibly spill off on the right lake, at the right time. its game time.
Now let's snap back to reality....Sure hope the lakes would freeze up & we'd get some much needed snow. lol.

Talked to a buddy today, seems as thou his '24 9000RR is running very good. He asked he when I'm coming out. I think he just wants me out there to make an example out of me?!?! Hahaha...won't be the last.
With friends like this, if you know what I'm saying..... Lol

Balls must be really swollen...lol.

Last edited:

Back