• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'12 XTX suspension advice...

When I ordered them don't recall a color choice, they came that way.
Do you mean the front shock spring at max preload or the rear shock rebound clicker adjustment.
I set my shock to 6 clicks up from full soft and the torsion spring cams to medium, up from soft to give it a test run and adjust from there.
Thinking of not going up this weekend and save a couple of my vacation days as almost 40 in UP will be mushy trails, friggen mother nature.
May just add couple more days to the TY end of season ride in Muni instead.
Could do my cottage in northern lower next weekend for a test ride, supposed to cool down next weekend. This season is going by so fast....:(
Front spring at max preload since the spring is supposedly too soft. Rear shock clicker at full soft, torsion springs at full soft. Control rods at max transfer. Ski shocks at full soft. May need tweaking once I hit the trail...

Feels great out there already. Waiting for daughter to show up to start riding.

I purchased a 12 xtx new non current model in 2015. After riding 500 km on the stock rear suspension I switched it out to star kit. I used the revalved shocks, new nitro springs, new front shock heavier spring, hygear spring spacers, robert’s heavy duty shock relay rods and billet five position torsion spring adjusters. Absolute transformation of the rear skid. Went from the most harsh riding suspension I have ever ridden to almost as plush as my son’s 12 vector, which rides fantastic. Only thing is now that it is uncoupled it will transfer very easily lifting the skis with very little throttle, it makes it hard to ride in twisty trails.
Before doing this I was going to sell the sled, but now I will ride it for many years, it is that good. If you want to keep the sled I highly recommend the star kit.
By the way, I weigh 250 geared up.
My problem is I only weigh 170 lbs, so this sled on rough trails sucks, great on groomed trails. What is "robert's heavy duty shock relay rods"?

My problem is I only weigh 170 lbs, so this sled on rough trails sucks, great on groomed trails. What is "robert's heavy duty shock relay rods"?
The two metal rods on each side of the rear shock are the relay rods. The ones from star are all aluminum and are flat plates about 1 inch wide and 1\4 inch in thickness.

The two metal rods on each side of the rear shock are the relay rods. The ones from star are all aluminum and are flat plates about 1 inch wide and 1\4 inch in thickness.
So you used those in place of the aluminum flat ones supplied by star?
How do I get a hold of a set of those. Also did your star kit get the upgrade where there has been a few that the lower plates got elongated and wore into the shaft?

Last edited:
Got my Nytro springs from Coolio and my spacers from Hygear on Friday, was going to change them this coming week however when up at the lake this weekend something went south on my 09 with the exhaust. Has gotten real loud again and backfiring, and I mean loud like a gun shot when coming to a stop. So my right used y-pipe and new copper doughnuts repair 310 miles ago did not last. There was a small wear mark on the right y-pipe that I thought was ok more then likely let go. So tonight it comes into the garage to get tore down and find out if a header pipe or the right y-pipe let go. :o|
Good luck with them. Let us know how it works out.

If you lift it up, without lifting it off the ground, it rises up a lot and then naturally let it settle back down, yes when you sit on it drops a lot. However then if you get off it does not come up on its own or go back down when sit back on it, just plain sits low. The gap in the transfer rods also has been reduced a lot, this thing may be a wheelie monster? Not sure if can adjust that out, Cameron like how his 11 XTX transfers with this set up, he can lift the skis for sure.

well my 11 has a 12 + skid in it. the lower spring wheel locations are mainly the difference between the 2 skids. mine is currently on position 5 on my muffin works adjusters as the rear shock is due for service. i usually run on position 4 and when i or care_bear sits on the sled the transfer is usually at 40/60 with no snow in the skid/tunnel. never came all the way to top of travel when i got off but i use a really sticky grease that does not wash out of the bushings. it does come all the way to the top when i lift it just like the proaction sleds did.

Just got back after about 70 miles with my daughter. Trails were great. But I sought out some moguls. Big difference in ride after spring change. Happy camper. Rides more like my RX1 with the mono.

[QUOTE="03RX1-ER-LE, post: 1519794, member:
Thinking of not going up this weekend and save a couple of my vacation days as almost 40 in UP will be mushy trails, friggen mother nature.
May just add couple more days to the TY end of season ride in Muni instead.
Could do my cottage in northern lower next weekend for a test ride, supposed to cool down next weekend. This season is going by so fast....:(
[/QUOTE]

Trails were very good. Not mashed potatoes. Plenty of snow to keep it cool. Plenty of traffic already today. The nutty riders were out too.....

So you used those in place of the aluminum flat ones supplied by star?
How do I get a hold of a set of those. Also did your star kit get the upgrade where there has been a few that the lower plates got elongated and wore into the shaft?
Those aluminum shock rods were supplied by star. I also received the upgraded kit with the lower plates for the bottom of the front shock mount, 11000 km later still look like new.

My 11 was stiff and had to much sag but it hammered the bumps very well. The little stutter bumps it was poor. So I added the star kit and the stutter bumps where almost gone and it still handled the big bumps well. The star kit uncouples the skid so 70mph it still has the ski's in the air and coming out of a corner you ease into the throttle not hammer it or up comes the ski's. So with my weight (heavy) I liked the XTX in the big bumps a bit better by in the small stuff it beat you up. The Star makes the best of both.

well my 11 has a 12 + skid in it. the lower spring wheel locations are mainly the difference between the 2 skids. mine is currently on position 5 on my muffin works adjusters as the rear shock is due for service. i usually run on position 4 and when i or care_bear sits on the sled the transfer is usually at 40/60 with no snow in the skid/tunnel. never came all the way to top of travel when i got off but i use a really sticky grease that does not wash out of the bushings. it does come all the way to the top when i lift it just like the proaction sleds did.
Yeah that is how mine feels, will lift high but settles down when sit on it. I use Valvoline high temp red grease when I lube the suspension. Did not ride this weekend due to the warm up, looks like next weekend is a go with temp drop so we will see. Over the summer going to install star kit and get shocks redone since they never have been and I think star recommends them to be redone by them.

Yeah that is how mine feels, will lift high but settles down when sit on it. I use Valvoline high temp red grease when I lube the suspension. Did not ride this weekend due to the warm up, looks like next weekend is a go with temp drop so we will see. Over the summer going to install star kit and get shocks redone since they never have been and I think star recommends them to be redone by them.

Thanks for all the help maim.....

Me and my daughter put on 200 miles this weekend. Trails held up during the warm spell. Nobody overheated. We stayed south of hwy 2 where there was less traffic. Heard it was pretty crazy north of hwy 2. Pub and Grub was packed. Had a friend go up there....

I still want to put Fox clickers on the skis and "maybe" Fox air in the front.....

Has anyone dropped the rear of the skid into the lower of the two holes? Any difference on ride or just a little more travel away from tunnel?

still in the upper holes on the 11. sled i did do it on just raiesd the back more.

Back