• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

121" to 144" is it possible?

GYTRules!!!

Extreme
If someone has done this or has any knowledge in this area I would be interested in hearing some of the pros and cons of stretching a 121" to 144". I realize this is a big stretch and there would be many challenges to overcome. My thinking is that if Yamaha or an aftermarket company could engineer a 6-degree rail ext. then us short track owners could turn them into crude XTX's. Am I thinkin or :drink:???

I replied to your other message. I have done a lot of researching about this. Here is a thread that covers some of what I had asked about.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

There is a lot of other great information out on this site. I'm just not the greatest using this particular search function. To summarize, a 121" to a 144" without changing the suspension completely didnt seem to be a good idea. Geometries change, and the track seems to tighten considerably when compressed. Lazy Bastard had a lot of insight on this and brought it to light for me. I didn't want to go to a complete aftermarket suspension, but it seemed the most reliable method. I have been very happy with the ZX-2 so far.

Last night, I changed to my 2" challenger, re-geared, and re-clutched. Headind to Togwotee on Friday. Can't wait to try it out in the mountains.

:home:

If you have specific questions I'll be happy to try to help.

LazyBastard said:
Buy an ExpertX or ZX2 144" suspension, an extension from someone (hint: check the site supporters) and a track of your preference, install them, and you've got a 144". I also suggest gearing down when you stretch out.
Thanks LB, I realize these are available but what I'm interested in is maintaining the handling of the 121" with the XTX rail geomety while at the same time recieving the benefits of the 144". Also, I really like my mono rear suspension since the revalve and I would like to keep the cost down. :drink:

Thanks for the link Grizz. How would you say your 144" handles trail riding compared to the 121".

I thought this sounded to good to be true. :drink: So it looks like if I want a 144" Apex with XTX geometry I need to hope and pray Yamaha builds it or buy an aftermarket suspension. :o|

Back