• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

13 mm sway bar installed with lotsa pics

blue er

Expert
Had my 13mm pioneer sway bar delivered Friday after looking at it decided I would do it myself and it's fairly easy, first thinh you need is a flat place to work (I took my sled to work)
IMGP0107.jpg

next raise the sled to unload the front suspension.(the stand is only there for support not holding the front up)
IMGP0108.jpg

once the front end is unloaded you will want to undo the sway bar link 12mm nut and bolt.
IMGP0109.jpg

IMGP0110.jpg

after you undo both links grab a couple 10 mm wrenches you will want to take the pinch bolt off one sway arm.
IMGP0111.jpg

IMGP0112.jpg

Now just grab the remaing arm and pull straight the sway bar will slide right out.
IMGP0113.jpg

IMGP0114.jpg

take the new sway bar and the arms and put one on lining up the index mark.heres a pic of the index mark.
IMGP0116.jpg

the arm with the index mark.
IMGP0121.jpg

at this point you will want to slide the arms on and off the sway bar a couple times to make install easier.
slide the sway bar back through the sled keeping the bar straight on the side with the arm attached install the link nut/bolt to hold the bar in place.
then you will put the other arm on lining up the arm with the index mark so it's the same as the other side, once it's on you may need an aligning punch to get the end link bolt through.
IMGP0122.jpg

make sure everything is tightened up, reduce front spring preload one full turn go have fun
this is a straight forward and worthwhile mod and really flattens the cornering.
tools: sled support, 12mm socket/ rachet and 12 mm wrench i used two 10mm wrenches.
hope this helps anyone deciding to tackle the sway bar

:Rockon: i put a 100 km through the ganaraska forest before i sat down to do this report, handling is incredible hardly any ski lift flat as can be

how much bigger is the new bar over the old one? after logging about 1650kms on my Apex. I think I need something to keep the skis planted better in the twisties.

Stock sway bar is 11mm. Some went with a 12mm sway bar while others went further to a 13mm sway bar. Reports on the 13mm bar is that it rails in the corners but the ride is more harsh. This is in general as some guys really like the 13mm like machzed and weltracer. I know Mr Sled found the ride on the 13mm bar to be too harsh.

Hey guys...

I now have logged some decent miles onto my 13mm bar...and IMO i feel it is no harsher at all then stocker...I personally couldnt tell anything from stock on harshness.

It does make the sled much flatter in corners and Im amazed at how flat my sled corners.

I still feel the MAJOR contributor to skilift/tippyness or whatever you want to call it is 1 main factor....the sleds come from factory sitting far to tall up front....the MINUTE i lowered my front of sled to where the A arms are LEVEL WITH GROUND(NOT as low as avatar),the sled was heads and tails better in corners...

the second major contributor is to add 13mm bar...this in conjunction with LEVEL A arms in front make for a true railing apex.

I personally wouldnt bother with 12mm...either 13 or just leave stock 11 in.

Also,just a side note..this is ALL in conjunction with PILOT SKI's.....I think the stock skis also play a part in the poor cornering and skilift.

I jumped on a buds sled,07 rtx pretty much all stock a few weeks ago...nearly tipped over,cause im so used to my setup...

One other sidenote...If you are the type of rider who DOES NOT sit forward when riding agressive,you will get much more skilift then if you ride up on seat near tank...if you ride back more,you MUST tighten transfer rod more then I keep mine...I run mine loose as I like transfer for drags....I sit right up tight to tank and can run thru the twistiest of trails with my setup...nice railing sled now.

once dialed,these apexs are rock solid cornering sleds.

dan

nb-viper said:
How would a stiffer bar make the ride harsh? does it limit the independacy of each shock?

Yes, A larger sway bar will limit the independancy of each side.... it will give more feedback when ons ski goes through a bump while the other side is not. I have NOT found the 13mm bar to be "Harsh". I like it overall.
I echo Machzed's input regarding lowering the front end and would add to that by recommending shortening of the limiter strap. I have mine set in the thrid pair of holes from the shortest setting (1 set shorter than where it was shipped at)

My 22 year old son (On a REV) cannot loose me in the tight twisties.

hey doug....perfect,i totally forgot i did my front strap too...same as you,they are really loose stock and when we lower front down abit the straps are wayyyy loose...

good call!

dan

Back