• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

146" MS16 tune - clutching set up

Ryan07

Getting ready to take a look at the clutches on my 20 Sidewinder S-TX. Has aprox 2000 miles, MS16 SM TD tune, QAY-70 Dalton weights, 22T top sprocket, 146" x 1.25" track. I've always run the 8JP belt as well. Looking for a better trail clutching set up.

Anyone have a setup they'd recommend for riding in Northern Maine?

I don't have the opportunity or time to test and adjust, just looking for something that works better than the stock stuff if anyone has a setup they wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks

What are you looking to improve? The Dalton weights you are running are a popular setup.

I believe you have the correct weights already. I liked the stock 35 helix over the dual angle helix that came stock on the later Sidewinders.

I believe you have the correct weights already. I liked the stock 35 helix over the dual angle helix that came stock on the later Sidewinders.
right on with the weights, from some research i've done, was thinking the 35 would be better, the stock one shifts up/down quickly when going slower......

What are you looking to improve? The Dalton weights you are running are a popular setup.
Since I'm taking it all apart just looking for a better overall set up than stock with the tune in larger top sprocket, if it's out there. I believe the weights are good as I added those with the tune, I guess just looking for springs and helix recommendations on something that's proven with the 146 track length.

The more info you put out there will really make a difference. The happier you will be with the set up. Studs, rider weight, intention are just a few variables.

At that weight and that track length you're loading the motor up pretty good. Backshift is usually welcome for a trail rider, but if you're talking County, Northern Maine I guess it wouldn't be at the top of your must haves considering it's mostly straights and sweepers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the later model helix you are referring to would be the reverse angle 35/39. Flip that to a 39/35 and it would probly suit you better. I'm not going offer any weight suggestions because i just don't have any experience with the longer track and you have a Cnote on my weight class!

Your just a phone call and some dollars away from many after market clutch set ups that can make improvements for a busy man like you! Most guys that spend alot of time and money getting their sleds clutched properly will not give that information out to everyone, nor should they as Iam sure you understand this …. There are alot of guys on here that would like the same….
This type of scenario is nothing new … What they will do without hesitation is help solve problems and thats a big plus….

I'll help you out. Try this:

Primary Clutch: Yamaha blue/brown/blue spring with Dalton QAY Weights and 1/4 slug screwed all the way to the tip. Advise where rpm lands.

Secondary: Yamaha or Dalton straight 35 helix with Dalton black/orange spring set at 80 degrees (6-2)

Put an Ultimax XS825 Belt. (Throw away all those 8JP belts....they are no good on a tuned Winder.....unless you enjoy ruining bellypans, clutch guards, antifreeze tanks, etc.)

Last edited:
Running stock 35° since '17. Great all around piece.
With that said....X2 on the 39/35, XS825, Dalton B/O 80° +/-
A 146" with 1.5" lug with above, would roost pretty good.

Back