• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

146 XTX

So another year has passed and am curious if any other reviews or feedback on these 146 sleds. Are the trail manners really compromised compared to a 137? Top speed much lower (or high speed sustained 80mph trails)?
I believe 2023 will be available with power steering which is even more interesting.
I am currently on a 137. I did try and remove the rod and coupling blocks to get it more playful. It wheelied like crazy but I found it would lift inside skis in corners so put the rod and blocks back in. Does the 146 lift inside ski on corners?
I have 6500 miles on my 2020 xtx . It started as an se model and was converted to an le model(trail front end and 1.6 track). I have put 3000 miles on my 2022 ltx se this winter. The 137 will be for sale come fall and replaced with another xtx or possibly the new turbo riot. Unless trails are really tight and twisty I do not feel your giving up any trail performance. The xtx bridges the bumps awesome and I find the ride quality as good if not better than my 137 and I upgraded to qs3r shocks all around on this 137.. The 137 with rods and blocks installed is extremely planted and IMO lacks any fun factor. The 146 requires a little more throttle control to be as planted but the sled definetly doesnt suffer from inside ski lift. High speed trail riding is not a problem. In northern maine it is not uncommon to travel at 80+mph for miles and miles. Zero issues. As a bonus, it is excellent off trail and the longer tunnel allows more storage options. The longer footprint and uncoupled skid is a huge difference in traction and really pulls hard. Ive been on 144's and 146's for the past 10yrs and I knew deep down going to a 137 would be a mistake for me. At least I know my 137 will sell quickly and I wont lose any money thanks to current markets.

My dad has 3,000 miles on his 2022 xtx. He came off a 2017 ltx.

He is smitten with this sled. He loves the extra room for storage, the playfulness, and the taller seat. I don't think he misses any part ofbthe LTX.

I rode it a couple weekends ago and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

I came off a 137 to a 146xtx le and really like the XTX. It took a little adjustment but it handle great on tight trails and is very playful. I wasn’t sure about going to a 146 but I’m glad I did. Wouldn’t even consider a 137 for my next sled

Has anybody got any ride time on them yet to give a review of that suspension? Almost snow checked one but backed out. Curious how that suspension is compared to the 141 XTX
Just finished a 1100k ,(680 miles) north Quebec tour, I've done the same as others listed here while on a lift no pressure on skid
front ski springs backed out till just a little play
shocks on 2
front skid shock spring the same as front skis
front skid shock 2
rear torsion tried every position left on firm setting for high-speed smooth trail running because it would bottom at high-speed smooth rollers on the trail if the trail is beat and running slower I find the softest setting makes a difference in soaking up the stutter bumps.
when the trail was freshly groomed and frozen the darting was very noticeable but as soon as we come on to trails that had some traffic over it and snow chewed up a bit the darting went away.
I run 135 screw studs in lugs,I love the 1.6 track with great acceleration and even better braking when in good snow condition as we experienced, then able to go play on the power lines with 4 to 5 ft of powder ( exactly why I wanted this package)
So for next year,I'm planning on putting the curve xs skis and revavle the rear shock as pointed out here on another post about accelerated technologies

Just finished a 1100k ,(680 miles) north Quebec tour, I've done the same as others listed here while on a lift no pressure on skid
front ski springs backed out till just a little play
shocks on 2
front skid shock spring the same as front skis
front skid shock 2
rear torsion tried every position left on firm setting for high-speed smooth trail running because it would bottom at high-speed smooth rollers on the trail if the trail is beat and running slower I find the softest setting makes a difference in soaking up the stutter bumps.
when the trail was freshly groomed and frozen the darting was very noticeable but as soon as we come on to trails that had some traffic over it and snow chewed up a bit the darting went away.
I run 135 screw studs in lugs,I love the 1.6 track with great acceleration and even better braking when in good snow condition as we experienced, then able to go play on the power lines with 4 to 5 ft of powder ( exactly why I wanted this package)
So for next year,I'm planning on putting the curve xs skis and revavle the rear shock as pointed out here on another post about accelerated technologies
Forgot to mention this was the first time I, got to try out top speed and was surprised that it topped out at 93mph, my belt was worn a bit and I suspect due to gearing,but just thought it would have more than that,came off a 2009 crossfire 1000 that topped at 106

Forgot to mention this was the first time I, got to try out top speed and was surprised that it topped out at 93mph, my belt was worn a bit and I suspect due to gearing,but just thought it would have more than that,came off a 2009 crossfire 1000 that topped at 106
Youve got some issues if your only getting 93mph for top speed!

Why what are you seeing?
Bone stock as delivered from yamaha was about 112-114. When I added a tune it would do 114-116 but get there much faster. Changed the gear ratio from 24/50 to 21/41 and now runs 118-121 consistently.

Bone stock as delivered from yamaha was about 112-114. When I added a tune it would do 114-116 but get there much faster. Changed the gear ratio from 24/50 to 21/41 and now runs 118-121 consistently.
wow, thanks for the feedback and that's with a 2-inch track?

wow, thanks for the feedback and that's with a 2-inch track?
When I changed the gearing to 21/41 I also changed the track to a 1.6 cobra. This setup runs 118-121. 24/50 setup was 2” track for a while and then swapped to 1.75 track later. Both of these tracks ran same speeds of 112-116

With 24/50 gears at just 8700 rpm at a 1:1 clutch ratio utilizing zero overdrive you should run about 102mph gps……105-106 speedo

With 24/50 gears at just 8700 rpm at a 1:1 clutch ratio utilizing zero overdrive you should run about 102mph gps……105-106 speedo
That's my issue I was 8150 rpm, I'll have to go over my clutches, this is my first 4 stroke and yammi , so is 87000rpm my target
With only 1100 miles on sled, I would not have thought of clutch issues already, I was of the impression that the Yamaha clutches were superior to the cat setup

That's my issue I was 8150 rpm, I'll have to go over my clutches, this is my first 4 stroke and yammi , so is 87000rpm my target
With only 1100 miles on sled, I would not have thought of clutch issues already, I was of the impression that the Yamaha clutches were superior to the cat setup
Check to make sure primary clutch spring is not broken and inspect the clutch rollers is a good place to start. I believe with a stock sled you should be 87-8800rpm. If you wany fuether advise to diagnose I would suggest starting a new topic and youll get lots of suggestions and help and it will prevent this topic from going too far off course.

I just got home from, more than likely, the last trip of this season given the forecast, just unloaded, poured a beer, and want to give an update now that I have 2500 miles on my 146". Disclaimer, as stated in my original review (post #26) I have never used the sled with stock skis. Also, I am now tuned with the hurricane 270hp super spool stock muffler tune and a Tapp primary clutch.

All of that having been said, woof. I still love this sled as much the first time I rode it. Even more after the tune. As @justinator stated above, in super tight corners, it certainly isn't the 137, but everything else about this sled more then makes up for that. It soaks up bumps in ways the 137 can't even dream of. Given that rough trails seem to be about all we find 80% of the time in the last couple years, you can't pry the 146 out of my hands. I also find it to be considerably more capable hopping off on an untouched two track as well. That tends to be about the only kind of off trail riding I do, if I were in to more truly aggressive off trail riding, I probably wouldn't be on this forum regardless of track size.

For those considering between the LE and the SE, if you trail ride, LLLLLEEEEE all day. Trust me. The SE is more work in the corners. The sled loves to rip at sustained 80mph, and the throttle sits at about the 2/3 position to do so. I top out around 10Xs. The highest I have seen I believe is 106. It pulls like a monster through the mid 90s then tapers off around 100. Top speed has been the same stock and modified. Still stock gearing.

The 137 is still along for every trip, and I have often jumped between the two all day long. This trip, I have gotten to the point that I didn't jump to it a single time...

As for power steering, I would be shocked if it gets added to this sled, both from an obvious supply chain issue, and I really don't see what it would add to this platform other than weight. The steering effort is incredibly light in my opinion, given the front end lift of the suspension style.

IMG-7246.jpg

IMG-7230.jpg

IMG-7518.jpg

On my 2020 xtx se my limiter strap was in the middle hole. I just adjusted to full loose. Have you guys played with that much on your 146. Also debating the cat 160 or stingray spring as im about 275lb.

Back