• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

160lb center shock spring on RTX

Cfpdscott

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha viper Rtx-se
im looking for opinions from people with an RTX who have done the 160 lb center spring mod. I'd like some more transfer to make the sled a little more playful but I'm thinking that spring might make the sled handle bad in the twisties?

I'm at 4.5-5 turns from sung on mine, haven't even rode the sled yet and can already tell how much of a difference it makes just picking up the front end of the sled. Worth the money IMO.

There seems to be a lot of chatter about the 160 lb. spring, but I have to confess that I am not really sure what the benefits are? One suggestion has been that the Viper steers hard, but that hasn't really been my experience with my sleds. I have an LTX with Snow Trackers, and it is like power steering. I have an XTX with 9" Bergstrom triple points that does require steering effort at slow speeds, but with the uncoupled suspension, and a little throttle, it steers and handles great. Would either, or both, of those sleds benefit from the 160 lb. spring?

I don't have any issues with hard steering. My reason for switching out to the heavier spring is to make the front end lighter when I hit the throttle. There's times when you come up on something in the trail that you need to lift the skis a bit to get over such as railroad tracks or branches etc. Im just worried about losing ski pressure coming through turns but I ride pretty aggressive and am thinking my body weight will help keep the skis down.

There seems to be a lot of chatter about the 160 lb. spring, but I have to confess that I am not really sure what the benefits are? One suggestion has been that the Viper steers hard, but that hasn't really been my experience with my sleds. I have an LTX with Snow Trackers, and it is like power steering. I have an XTX with 9" Bergstrom triple points that does require steering effort at slow speeds, but with the uncoupled suspension, and a little throttle, it steers and handles great. Would either, or both, of those sleds benefit from the 160 lb. spring?
Much better weight transfer over stock. Rode a buddys Viper last season with it and rode another identical Viper side by side without the spring and it makes a world of difference. You'll be happy to spend the 75$ IMO. This was the first upgrade I did when I bought my Viper in August.

Back